Monday, October 31, 2011

Training log - Week ending 10/30/11

This week was 48 miles of "real running" and 18 "miles" pool running, plus 2500m of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

After two pretty hard weeks in a row, it was about time for some recovery. I was pretty sluggish for Tuesday’s workout, and so had no issue when I was shut down after 4 repeats. I felt sluggish on Wednesday as well, but was surprised by the distance and pace. The runs were faster and further than I had planned - the hazards of running without looking at your watch until after the run.

For both of these runs, the sluggish feeling didn’t appear to be affecting my paces, but I’d rather pull back from the brink of overreaching BEFORE it starts to slow me. Thus I focused on recovery for the balance of the week, including turning off the computer earlier, less miles, cutting the weight-training, higher carb intake, ice baths, and a massage.

It paid off, as by the weekend I was feeling refreshed, and closed out the weekend with a race that I was pretty happy with - it indicated that I’ve made progress in my efforts to run relaxed in a race situation. Report here.

Dailies

Monday: In the morning, 50 minutes of easy pool-running for "5 miles", plus 1000m of swimming breathing drills and upper body/core strength training. Foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 10.5 miles, including a track workout of 4x1200m at 4:48, 4:41, 4:33, 4:33. Followed by a shakeout 15 minutes of pool-running ("1.5 miles"). Injury prevention work, floor barre class, and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: In the morning, 9 easy miles (8:38 pace) followed by yoga and then 6 more easy miles (7:52 pace). Too far and too fast. Foam rolling and stretching, plus an ice bath, at night.

Thursday: In the morning, 55 minutes of easy pool-running for "5.5 miles" plus 1500m of swimming breathing drills. Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Friday: In the morning, 9.5 easy miles (8:15 pace), plus drills and strides. A sports massage plus a very easy pilates class in the afternoon

Saturday: 2 easy miles of pool-running for "2 miles", plus a few injury prevention exercises, foam-rolling, and a pre-race ice bath.

Sunday: 13 miles, including a 2 mile warm-up jog, a 10K race in 41:45, and 5 more miles after the race (running or walking along the course, cheering marathon runners -- yes I log this). Followed with 40 minutes of easy pool-running for "4 miles". Yoga at night.

3 comments:

  1. sweet 10K (I read that one too). glad you are feeling refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! Congrats on the solid week and strong race effort Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great week and great race!! I was glad you weren't so worn out and came spectating with us! :)

    ReplyDelete