Sunday, December 18, 2011

Training log - Week ending 12/18/11

This week was 65 miles of "real running" and 16 "miles" pool running plus 2000m of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

Training continues to go well, and my confidence continues to grow - all three workouts this week felt like silk. Of course, as was pointed out to me this week, that’s exactly when I start to get really overenthusiastic, and shoot myself in the foot, and get a major setback. And that’s the mistake I can’t make again, because it's held me back from my potential before.

Big focus this week will be on making sure I treat my recovery MORE seriously than I treat my workouts, both within workouts and between. And remembering that harder ain’t always better for workouts or for races.  Probably my toughest obstacle -- getting out there in bad weather is easy and even sadistically fun.  Holding back when I feel good, not fun at all.

From Letsrun:

Sorry but number one is hard work and finding out what part of training the athlete does not like to do and then giving them the science why it is necessary....The true science is getting into the head of the athlete and his commitment to bring every thing out and get a commitment and not looking back.

The part of training I don't like is the holding back.  I need to keep reminding myself of the benefits.


Dailies

Monday: In the morning, upper body and core weight training plus injury prevention exercises, followed by 55 minutes of easy pool-running for "5.5 miles," and 1000m of swimming breathing drills. Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 12 miles, including 6 hill repeats - nonstop circuit of up a hill for about 2 minutes, a 90 second easy jog, a stride, and then some more easy jogging to the bottom (whole circuit takes ~5 minutes). Averaged 7:14 pace for the full 6 repeat circuit (just over 4 miles). Followed with some injury prevention exercises and then a shakeout 15 minutes easy pool-running, for "1.5 miles". Floor Barre class plus foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: In the morning, 11.5 miles very easy (8:31), and then yoga, followed by 3.5 miles at easy pace (7:47). Foam rolling in the evening.

Thursday: In the morning, 50 minutes of easy pool-running for "5
miles" plus 1000m of swimming breathing drills, followed by upper body and core strength work, plus injury prevention exercises. Foam-rolling at night.

Friday: 10 miles on the track, including a tempo intervals workout that was scheduled as 3x2 miles (with 2 lap recovery between each), though everyone else ended up doing 2x2, and I only got to do 2x2+1. Splits were 13:05 (6:36/6:29); 12:45 (6:28/6:17); and 6:00 flat. I note with amusement that the net time for this tempo that totaled 8K was 31:50 -- almost exactly the same as my 8K PR from last week -- indicating underperformance in my race (I firmly believe that if your tempos are approaching your races, you're massively underperforming in your races).

(excuse: the 8K race was run without 5 minute breaks on a course with a moderate hill, multiple hairpin turns and an impromptu shoe-tying break, and weather was better for tempo and I was warmed up... /self-justification)

Followed by 20 minutes of very easy pool-running ("2 miles") . Pilates and foam rolling at night.

Saturday: Upper body strength training + core work and injury prevention exercises, followed by 11 miles at easy pace (7:54).

Sunday: A long run of 16.5 miles at 7:23 pace (split as 8:14 pace for first 3 miles, 7:26 for next 6.5, 7:11 for next 4, 6:52 for next 2.25, then 6:19 for final .75). Followed with 20 minutes easy pool-running for "2 miles". Restorative yoga and foam rolling at night.

5 comments:

  1. Tough girl! I will see you on the hills on Tuesday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that quote from Lets Run. I really like the new perspective you've taken over the past few months. Fantastic week-- may there be many more of these in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great week! I think it's good that you recognize potential overenthusiam now and can avoid the mistakes you've made in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The holding back is definitely the hardest part, but if you think of it as part of training you'll be able to accept it more and continue putting in great weeks like this!

    ReplyDelete