Sunday, January 29, 2012

Training log - Week ending 1/29/12

This week was 58 miles of “real running” and 14 “miles” pool running, plus 60 minutes of easy cycling and 2000 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

This week was disrupted a bit by a brief work trip to Chicago. Luckily, the weather was quite reasonable for January in Chicago – I had a relaxed Wednesday morning run along the shores of Lake Michigan that was really pleasant . I got to watch the sun rise over floes of ice floating in the lake, which was actually gorgeous – like chunks of diamond floating almost within reach.

Unfortunately, this work trip also included a late dinner at a super spicy celebrity chef type restaurant. My digestive system is ridiculously sensitive, and has issues with both late dinners and dinners that are spicy and acidic. I limited myself to eating the most mild thing on the menu (and not very much of it), but the trip did a job on my stomach regardless that I’ve been recovering from ever since. My stomach was stupid for Friday’s tempo. It was almost cleared up by Sunday, and then I tried a new gel during my long run. Tasted great, but 45 minutes later I was truly sorry for my experimentation. Looks like it’s back to uberbland foods for a few days. Finis whining.

Other than the stomach issues, the running is going well. Tuesday I did my first intervals workout in almost 2 months, and was happy with it – I’m not sharp (which I shouldn’t be right now) but I’m in good shape. Friday’s tempo was in slightly iccky weather (62, DP of 60, and wind), and despite the weather and my stupid stomach, I still completed the workout decently, with stuff left in the tank. I kept Sunday’s long run on the easier side as well (especially because of my stomach) but was pleasantly surprised by the paces that apparently matched easy to moderate effort on my watch.

So, aerobically I’m in pretty good shape, and my legs continue to regain strength, with no concerning aches. Interestingly, it’s my mental game that’s the most behind. To explain better, I run best when I come into each run with a very relaxed uncaring attitude. This attitude doesn’t come naturally to me, and needs to be practiced. In contrast, my natural tendency to PUSH VERY HARD means that I can preserve my fitness very effectively when confined to pool-running, arc-trainer, etc. But, in doing so, I indulge in bad mental habits, and I then have to reprogram myself to once again RELAX when running. That’s the focus for this upcoming week.

Dailies

Monday: In the morning, 60 minutes of poolrunning for “6 miles” followed by 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills, and then upper body and core strength work, plus injury prevention exercises. Foam-rolling at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 10.5 miles on the track, including a workout of 1600m followed by 4x800m (half-distance recovery). Splits were 6:02, and then 2:54, 2:52, 2:52, and 2:51. Followed with injury prevention work and then recovery pool-running for 30 minutes (“3 miles”). Then a quick foam-rolling session before dragging luggage through airports.

Wednesday: In the morning, 11.5 miles very easy (8:05 pace). Pseudo-foam rolling (using medicine ball, stick, and tennis ball) plus stretching and injury prevention work in evening.

Thursday: In the morning, 60 minutes easy on an exercise bike, followed by upper body and core strength work, plus injury prevention exercises. Drag luggage through airport in afternoon. Foam-rolling at night.

Friday: In the morning, 11 miles on the track, including a tempo workout. The scheduled workout was 3x2 miles at “6 mile tempo pace” – which translated to 6:30-6:35 for me (as always, I didn't check my watch during the workout, but just ran on feel).  Splits were 12:47 (6:26/6:21); 13:09 (6:36/6:33); 13:01 (6:33/6:28). Average pace overall was 6:32, which was about where the coach wanted, though I wish I could have swapped the order of the intervals. Followed by injury prevention work and then recovery pool-running for 15 minutes (“1.5 miles”). Pilates and a sports massage at night.

Saturday: In the morning, 8 miles easy (8:05 pace), followed by 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills. Weights, core strengthwork, injury prevention exercises, and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday: A long run of 16.5 miles averaging 7:44 pace, split as 3.5 miles at 8:33 pace, next 7 at 7:44 pace, next 4 at 7:29, and final 2 at 6:49. Followed with injury prevention work at gym, and then 35 minutes of easy pool-running for “3.5 miles”. Yoga and foam rolling at night.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your Chicago run. Such a great city! You looked great and strong this morning as you zoooooomed past me at mile 15! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's not good for what to expect from summer, but I love that we're having slightly icky weather in Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH- sorry about the stomach issues. Trying new gels is always tempting but oh-so-risky. I had a major stomach upset from the Power Bar Recovery bar and was pretty much screaming in pain three hours later.

    Chicago-- I am going there next week! Too bad we couldn't have gone at the same time. I will try to avoid spicy restaurants.

    Glad to see you getting your mileage back up after the pseudo-injury!

    ReplyDelete