Sunday, June 24, 2012

Training log -- Week ending 6/24/2012

This week was 51 miles of “real running” and 15 “miles” pool running, plus 2500 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

This week was a bit of a cutback, as I raced on Sunday. Since I was planning on not running on Saturday, I went ahead and tried a short recovery run on Thursday, with the goal of truly doing a recovery run, meaning uncomfortably slow.

It’s my belief that there’s value in training at a variety of paces, including very slow runs, which work a system that doesn’t get worked at any other time. And, though I do easy conversational running, I don’t do any recovery paced running (by my definition, recovery runs are not just conversational, but miserably crawling slow).

[note: maybe I’m right about the superslow running working a different system. Or maybe I’m overthinking.   Again. But either way, I’m not doing any harm by committing to doing some of my easy runs at the slow side of easy pace – it’s not like there’s some benefit to running easy runs on the faster side]

So, took a shot at a recovery run on Thursday – 3 miles, done on feel, aiming for pace between 8:30 and 9:00, and a heart rate in the 140s. Just barely made it on HR, missed the boat by holding 8:28 pace. I’ll probably take another shot next week.

Mile race was kinda meh. Oh well. We all have good and bad races, and I’ve had some really good ones.

Dailies  

Monday: In the morning, 70 minutes of easy poolrunning for “7 miles,” followed by some strength training and injury prevention exercises. Foam rolling and stretching in the evening.  

Tuesday: In the morning, 14 miles including a workout of 6 hill repeats – nonstop circuit of up a hill for about 2 minutes, a 90 second easy jog, a stride, and then some more easy jogging to the bottom (whole circuit takes ~5 minutes). Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of easy pool-running. Floor barre and foam rolling at night.  

Wednesday: In the morning, 12 miles easy (8:09 pace) and then a yoga class. Later, did another 4 miles easy (7:48 pace). Foam rolling and stretching at night.  

Thursday: In the morning, 3 miles very easy (8:28 pace) and then strength training and injury prevention exercises, followed by 1000 yards of swimming and 20 minutes of easy poolrunning for “2 miles.” Foam rolling and stretching at night.  

Friday: In the morning, 11 miles including a very moderate workout of 2x1600m with full recovery, followed by 4x200m (also with full recovery). I ran the 1600s in 6:30 and 6:20 – significantly slower than what I normally run 3200m repeats in, but absolutely fine in light of the heat and humidity and the fact I was racing on Sunday (I wanted to make sure I didn’t deplete myself at all). Also did 4x200m in 38, 37, 38, 37. Followed with very light injury prevention work (skipped squats, deadlifts, other heavy stuff) and 20 minutes of easy pool running. Foam-rolling in the afternoon (no pilates, since racing on Sunday).  

Saturday: In the morning, 1500 yards of swimming breathing drills. Stretching and foam rolling in the afternoon.  

Sunday: 7.5 miles, including a mile track race in 5:40. Followed with 20 minutes of recovery pool-running. Some foamrolling in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment