Sunday, August 19, 2012

Training log - Week ending 8/19/12

This week was 78.5 miles of “real running” and 12 “miles” pool running, plus 2500 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

Good week of training. My allergies (hay fever) are starting to really kick in, but I’m an old hand at handling them. Specifically, regular checking of my resting HR (if I feel horrible and HR is up, I’m sick or overtraining and need to rest; if I feel horrible but HR is normal, it’s allergies), and being sure to ease into my workouts. Plus all my allergy handling tricks.

The weather cooled off this week, which was really nice. I’m feeling really good about my Friday and Sunday workouts. Friday’s tempo is making me think that breaking 64 for a 10 miler is a strong possibility. And Sunday felt especially good – the “MP feel section” for the last part of my long run was fluid, restrained, and easy, I could have held the pace easily for several more miles. Exactly how it’s supposed to be. I don’t have a goal time per se for my goal marathon, because I think it’s a bit foolhardy to set a goal time for my first marathon (my marathon goals are simply to negative split, with my last 5K being one of my fastest of the race). But having sub-7 pace for the final third of a long run feel so comfortable and restrained is still a good feeling.

Dailies

Monday: In the morning, upper body strength work plus injury prevention stuff, 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills, and 30 minutes of easy pool-running for “3 miles.” 4 very easy miles (8:48 pace) at night, followed by foam rolling.

Tuesday: In the morning, 14.5 miles, including a track workout of 3x1600, 2x800. Splits were 6:01, 6:02, 5:54, 2:48, 2:46. Ran the first one a bit too fast for how I was feeling, and so had to work my way out of a hole for the second repeat. Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of easy pool-running. Floor barre and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 11.5 miles very easy (8:17), followed by a yoga class. Later did another 4.5 miles easy (7:52). Also foam rolling at night.

Thursday: In the morning, injury prevention stuff, 1500 yards of swimming breathing drills, and 25 minutes of easy pool-running for “2.5 miles.” 3 very easy miles (8:24 pace) at night, followed by foam rolling.

Friday: In the morning, 14.5 miles, including an 8K tempo in 31:53, split as 6:29, 6:26, 6:23, 6:22, 6:13 (6:25 pace overall). Pilates and foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday: In the morning, 10.5 miles easy (7:58 pace). Upper body strength work plus injury prevention stuff and foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday: In the morning, a progressive long run of 16.5 miles, split as 8:24 pace for first 5.5 miles, 7:26 for next 4.5, and 6:54 for last 6.5 (overall pace of 7:34). Followed with injury prevention work and 25 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Yoga and foam rolling at night.

2 comments:

  1. You're training for a marathon!!! :-) I am so excited to see how you progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice week! This recent weather has been great. It's also funny how perspective changes by the end of the summer. I'm sure if we had this same weather in March we would have complained about how warm it was!

    ReplyDelete