Sunday, February 10, 2013

Training log - Week ending 2/10/13

This week was 76.5 miles of “real running” plus 12 “miles” pool running -- training log is here.  
And...another week in the books.  A little bit of a hiccup in the middle of the week.  At Wednesday's yoga class, the instructor announced that she hoped she could get through the class before her voice gave out completely.  Uh-oh.  And sure enough, by that evening, I was starting to feel pretty run down and stiff.

Next morning, I woke up with a headache, almost no voice, and no energy.  Plus a resting HR of 58 (my norm is 38-42)  Gah!!!!.  The last head cold had left me feeling lousy for nearly 2 weeks, and I had my 20 miler scheduled for this Sunday.  All I could do was pound fluids and zinc like crazy, and hope that I'd kick it in time to at least slog through 20 miles easy and salvage part of my training week.

But, whadyaknow.  Woke up on Friday morning, and felt almost normal (with RHR down to the mid-40s).  I felt good enough that I figured I'd head over to the track, do a warm-up, and see how I felt.  And the warm-up felt good enough that I decided to try the tempo.   Kept the tempo to 4 miles (I went out shooting for 4-5, but about 2 miles in, I was really wishing I was back in bed, and stuck with 4), but got it done.  And by Sunday I felt pretty good.  About as good as you can feel for a hard week in marathon training.  So yay.  Headcolds that hit on scheduled recovery days and clear out before your key runs are the best kind.

Sunday's long run was once again a confidence boost.  I felt pretty tired and achy to start, but strong.  And stronger with each mile.  My legs are starting to get that "can go on forever" feeling that I felt during my last training cycle, and I ran faster than goal MP despite having no wish to do so.  I guess that's a good sign.

Next week is a cut-back - I have to travel to Chicago for work, so my routine's going to be altered some (though I did find a track).  Plus I'm racing a 10K on Sunday.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 60 minutes of easy pool-running for “6 miles” plus upper body strengthwork and injury prevention stuff.   Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 14 miles, including a workout of 4x1200 (4:22, 4:21, 4:23, and 4:26 - died on the last) followed by injury prevention work and 20 minutes shakeout pool-running.  Foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 9 miles very easy (8:41 pace) followed by yoga.  Later did another 6.5 miles easy (7:54).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   Off.  Sick.  Nothing but foam-rolling.

Friday:  In the morning, 13.5 miles, including a tempo workout of ~4 miles (6400m) in 26:00 flat, split as 6:43, 6:27, 6:29, 6:21.  Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes shakeout pool-running.  Foam rolling and pilates at night.

Saturday:   In the morning, 12 miles easy (8:11 pace).  Foam-rolling, injury prevention work, and strength-training in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, ~21 miles progression style (really not sure whether 20.76 miles is 20.5 or 21, but my log, so I'm rounding up), averaging 7:38.  It broke down as 8:27 for first 7, 7:36 for next 6.25, 7:00 for next 5.5, and 6:45 for last 2 miles.  Followed with 20 minutes shakeout pool-running.  Yoga and foam rolling at night.

2 comments:

  1. Such a fantastic week! Considering you were sick, you got in a lot of miles and quality. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were only down for a day. Nice week of workouts!

    ReplyDelete