Monday, November 4, 2013

Training log - Week ending 11/3/13

This week was 12 miles of “real running,” 3 miles of pool-running, and 13,000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.  

This week was front loaded, as I got PRP done on Friday, and just vegged the rest of the weekend.   Which was different.  It's been a LONG time since I've done nothing but lay on the couch. 

BTW, not like I was in a huge amount of pain requiring me to rest.  By Saturday midday, nearly all of the soreness was past.  As of Monday, the only thing that really hurts is my left sitbone (where the tendon attaches) if I sit directly on it.  The whole couchbound thing was because you are supposed to rest as much as possible after getting PRP, to let it settle.  Many times, people wear boots for a few days after, but not an option for me because a) they don't really make boots for hips, and b) if I wore a boot on my right foot, it would just place more work on the left hamstring.  So I just rested as much as possible.

[I also want to make sure people know - PRP wasn't THAT painful.  Not like I was crying or flinching.  It was just fairly unpleasant, and I wanted to make sure I didn't conceal that from others considering it.  It's not just a simple shot and then you're fixed]

Plan for the next bit of time is swimming with a pull buoy.  Hamstring doesn't feel much different - still stiff in the normal places.  But I know that's normal and expected for PRP - the results aren't instant.  I just need to take care to really spare both my hamstring and foot for the next several days, to ensure I get the max benefit from the PRP.

That means swimming with a pull buoy.  And studying up on fancy words like "catch" and "pull" and phrases like "elbows high" as I work on my swimming form.  Because I'm happier when I have something to work on.

Dailies

Monday:  
In the morning, injury prevention work and 3000 yards swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 
In the morning, injury prevention work, 2.5 miles easy, and then 3000 yards of swimming.  PT appointment mid day.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday
:   In the morning, injury prevention work, 3.5 miles easy running, and 3750 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:  
In the morning,  injury prevention work, lower body strengthwork and 30 minutes of easy pool-running for "3 miles".  Also a blood draw, and foam rolling.

Friday: 
In the morning, get blood drawn, run 3 miles easy, get a shot, run another 3 miles.  Then 3250 yards of swimming.  PRP in the afternoon.

Saturday:  
Watched 12+ hours of National Horse Show.

Sunday:  
Watched the NYC Marathon, the Maclay Championships, and The Devil Wears Prada.  Of the three, the Maclay was by far the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment