Monday, February 17, 2014

Training log - Week ending 2/16/14



This week was 31 miles of running, “3 miles” pool-running, “4 miles” on the arc-trainer and 4000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.  

Another week in a holding pattern.   Basically, my right foot feels fine with rest, but gets aggravated again when I run.  And when it gets too off, then my left hamstring starts compensating, and gets a bit tight.  I’m not injured per se, because I’m keeping the running to a level where I’m not doing any long standing damage from my gait being off, but the potential is there. And I can’t really train like this.

I’m a bit limited in my cross-training also – too much pool-running makes the hamstring angry; too much arc-trainer aggravates the ankle.  There’s always swimming, of course.  Unless you have a sinus infection, like I do.   So, I just have to sit tight for a while, which is not what I’m good at.

The cause of all of this is my right ankle, which isn’t flexing the way it should, tipping the whole ankle apple cart.  So a lot of my work is focused on ankle mobility and strengthening work, in addition to all the hamstring work.  My daily injury rehab routine is a doozy right now – the list includes:

Ankle:

  • various one legged balance exercises with my eyes opened or closed, and on the floor, a bosu, or a balance board.
  • inversion/eversion exercises with a theraband
  • eccentric calf dips.
  • single leg squats
  • spelling words with my feet

Hamstring:

  • one legged bridges with my foot on a bench
  • supine planks
  • hamstring ball curls
  • bridges with my shoulders on a ball, lifting one foot and then the other.

General:

  • planks (usually done with feet on medicine ball and elbows on ground; sometimes with hands on bosu and feet on ball)
  • side planks with a leg lift
  • glute bridges, usually with a weight on my pelvis
  • curling towels with my toes


It’s a lot, honestly, and hard to fit in.  But you do what you can do.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, injury rehab work, 30 minutes pool-running, and a yoga class.   Went to PT in the afternoon; foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, injury rehab work, 5 miles easy (8:13 pace) and 2500 yards in the pool, including a workout of  10x100 on 2:00 (1:38.50, 1:38.52, 1:39.66, 1:39.83, 1:38.28, 1:37.69, 1:38.34, 1:38.08, 1:37.65, 1:37.66), followed by 8x50 on 70 (49.11, 48.89, 47.33, 47.63, 47.54, 48.28, 47.09, 46.97).  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   Injury rehab work and 11 miles easy (8:25 pace).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, injury rehab work and 40 minutes (“4 miles”) on the arc-trainer.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  In the morning, injury rehab work and 8 miles east (8:30 pace).   1500 yards easy swimming and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   In the morning, injury rehab work and 7 miles easy (8:20 pace).   Upper body weights work and foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   Foot sore from eccentric dips, and sinuses really hurt, so stuck with yoga, injury rehab work, and a sports massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment