Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Training log - Week ending 9/14/14

This week was 50.5 miles of running and 2000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here

I cut back a bit this week, prepping for a Sunday half-marathon.  It's always a bit hard to gauge just how much to cut back for a half when you're in marathon training; I ended up cutting 2-3 miles off of each day from Wednesday-Friday, replacing Friday's tempo with a 1 mile pick-up, and then taking Saturday off altogether.  Looking back, I think I would have cut back some more if this was my goal race, just to be sure I was rested; however, I do think I went into the race fairly fresh while still getting some miles in, so I'm happy with the balance I struck.

Next week (which is now this week, since I'm just getting around to this post...) will be some race recovery and then back into marathon training.  The training really starts this upcoming weekend, when I have my first "4-3-2-1" workout (basically a descending ladder of marathon pace miles within a long run).  I'll have 6 hard long runs (3 of which will be progressive 20+ miles, the other 3 "4-3-2-1" workouts) over 7 weeks (taking a week off to race Army 10 miler) before taper.

Dailies

Monday:   Yoga in the morning, foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 12 miles, including a workout of 4x1200 (workout was 4-6x1200).  Splits were4:36, 4:29, 4:30, 4:24.  Followed with injury prevention work, and 1000 yards easy swimming.
Wednesday:  In the morning, 9 miles easy (8:25) followed by yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, 3 miles easy (8:48) to yoga, and then another 3 miles after (8:15).  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  8 miles, including a mile pick-up in 6:27.   Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   1000 yards easy swimming with a pull buoy and foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 2 mile warm-up, and then half marathon in 89:33. Yin yoga and foam rolling in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment