Monday, September 7, 2015

Training log - Week ending 9/6/15

This week was 63 miles of running, 17 "miles" of pool-running and 1500 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.

This was a combination cut-back and race week for me.  I had a 5K on Saturday, so I eased off on the mileage and crosstraining on Wednesday-Friday, both to rest up for the race, and to give myself an opportunity to recover from and consolidate the gains from my last two weeks of training.

Though I blew up in Saturday's race, I'm still pretty happy with it.  Both the race and my Tuesday workout indicate that my fitness is improving and I'm on the right track.  So woo.

The negative to this week is that either I'm getting sick, or my allergies are in full force.  It is that time of year, so I suspect it's the latter.  Either way, my sinuses and throat were in pretty bad shape on Sunday, to the point that I decided to skip my recovery swim.  It's not recovery if it makes you feel worse, and swimming was going to be awfully painful on Sunday.

As of Monday, the sinuses and throat are a bit better, but still achy.  I'll have to make a judgment call on Tuesday morning as to whether to do the workout.


Dailies

Monday:   Yoga, some upperbody strengthwork and injury prevention work, and 6 "miles" easy pool-running in the morning; 3 "miles" easy pool-running and foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  12.5 miles, including 8x800 with half distance recovery (3:06, 3:04, 3:00, 2:58, 2:59, 2:57, 2:58, 2:52).  Then did some injury prevention work and 1500 yards easy swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: 10 miles very easy (9:46),  followed by drills, two strides, and some upper body weights work.   2.5 "miles" easy pool-running and a massage in the evening.

Thursday:   7 miles, mostly very easy but with a one mile pick-up in 6:27 (down hill).  Also some drills and two strides. Later, 2.5 "miles" of easy pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  4.5 miles very easy (9: 24) plus drills and six strides, followed by foam rolling.
Saturday:  4 mile warm-up and 5K race in 19:51; 6 mile cooldown.  Later did 3 "miles" recovery pool-running, some upperbody weights, and foam rolling.

Sunday:  16 miles progressive, split as first 7 miles at 9:15 pace, next 4 miles at 8:21 pace, last 5 miles at 7:33 pace (didn't finish at marathon pace because I had raced yesterday).  Followed with some injury prevention work and a yoga class.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment