Monday, October 5, 2015

Training log - Week ending 10/4/2015

This week was 82 miles of running, 7 "miles" of pool-running and 4000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.

Moving week - I moved from my apartment to our almost-finished-construction house a half mile away.  Though the distance was short, moving is still moving and it sucks.  It was further complicated by the fact that our house has stairs.  Many stairs.  Which are architecturally appealing, but a pain for moving boxes around.

Fortunately, my coach and I had decided some time ago to build a "whatever" week into my schedule - a week with no major "must complete" workout, or big race.  So I scheduled my move for that week. It was nice to be able to move without any "MUST DO" workouts to worry about.

Even though I hired professional movers, there was still a lot of work to be done on my end - installing shelves in closets (I *love* Elfa), opening boxes and carrying stuff around, etc.   Plus, due to concerns about flooding from an imminent hurricane, I spent Thursday relocating many of my boxes from a seepage-prone basement up a flight of stairs.  Hurricane Joachim did decide to take a right turn and skip us - everyone in the mid-Atlantic can thank my and my box moving for that.  I assure you that we would have had a direct hit, had I left my boxes in the basement.  The end result was that I was pretty tired, with dead legs.  Lesson: don't expect to have a good track workout if you do an extended "stairclimbing with weights" workout the day before.

As you can see from the log below, I kept my running mileage up this week (with the exception of a shorter long run) but cut out a lot of my normal cross-training, including yoga, evening pool-running, and upper body strengthwork.  Part of this was that I only have so many hours in the day, and moving took up many of them.  Additionally, moving is a LOT of physical work, and reducing the cross-training kept my overall physical workload fairly consistent.  I think this was the best balance to strike to keep the marathon training moving forward without digging myself into a hole.

This coming week is a cutback, as I race Army 10 Miler on Sunday.


Dailies

Monday:   Yoga, some upperbody strengthwork and injury prevention work, and 7 "miles" easy pool-running in the morning; foam rolling at night (plus packing).

Tuesday:  14 miles, including 3x (1600, 800) with half distance recovery (6:16, 3:01, 6:11, 3:01, 6:08, 2:54).  Then did some injury prevention work and 1500 yards easy swimming.  Foam rolling in evening (plus packing).

Wednesday: 7.5 miles very easy (9:39), followed by a yoga class and then another 8.5 miles very easy (9:26), followed by drills and two strides.  Moved that afternoon.  Did foam rolling at some point.

Thursday:   10 miles very easy (8:57), followed by drills, 2 strides.  Also moved lots of boxes up stairs.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  14 miles, including a four mile track tempo in 26:47 (6:48/6:42/6:45/6:32) - legs just didn't want to move.   Followed with some injury prevention work and 1250 yards easy swimming.    Foam rolling and unpacking at night.

Saturday:  12 miles easy (well...high end of easy - 8:27) plus drills and two strides, followed by more unpacking.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday:  18 miles progressive, split as first 3 miles at 9:02 pace, next 4 at 8:30, next 3 at 7:40, last 6 at 7:10.  Followed with yoga.  Later did some injury prevention work and 1250 yards easy swimming plus foam rolling.  Also lotsa unpacking.

1 comment:

  1. I like the concept of a "whatever" week, and isn't it crazy how we runners orient our life events around runners! Anyway, congrats on the new home and the new move. Be sure to post photos!

    ReplyDelete