Sunday, November 29, 2015

Training log - Week ending 11/29/15

This week was 33.5 miles of running and  6.5 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Marathon recovery week.  Though I was pretty trashed at the finish line, this is the smoothest and easiest marathon recovery has ever gone.  Part of it might be that recovery gets a bit easier each time, and part might be the effectiveness of my rule: NO SITTING FOR 45 MINUTES POST MARATHON. 

But Sunday's IV drip probably gets some of the credit too.  Too bad you can't do those things every time (doping regs).

For myself, marathon recovery is always a play it by ear type of thing - I don't ban myself from working out; I just limit myself to doing the things I want to do.    And I have wanted to run.  It's not some misguided attempt to preserve fitness (I know that it's best to let things relax and refresh).  Rather, it's because I truly enjoy running.  Every single run this week has been fun, and most of them have been punctuated by good conversations with friends.  Mentally, I'm much fresher this week than I would be had I sulked on the couch.

I also did yoga nearly every day (I skipped it on Saturday because I decided I didn't feel like it - see how that works?)  After a few weeks away from the studio, it was good to be back and see friends there.  I also found that my left hip sciatica has been fading away with my return to yoga - further proof that yoga truly is essential for keeping my hips and gait stable.

I'm going to take at least two more weeks away from workouts before doing any hard running.  Though I'm not sore, I still have the deep down fatigue that follows any marathon.  That needs to pass before I can train again.
 
Dailies

Monday:   3.5 "miles" easy pool-running; massage at night.

Tuesday:  Yoga and 3 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: yoga, 3 miles easy (8:59 pace), and some light upper body weights.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   6 miles easy (9:03 pace) followed by yoga and a whole lotta food.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  4 miles easy to yoga (9:09 pace), yoga, and then another 2 miles easy (8:52 pace).  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:   8.5 miles easy (8:49 pace).  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  10 miles easy (8:30 pace), followed with some injury prevention work, yoga and foam rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment