Monday, January 4, 2016

Training log - Week ending 1/3/16

This week was 46 miles of running, 3000 yards of swimming, and 13 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

And, another week in the books.  After marathon training nearly continually since April, it actually feels nice to be running a bit less mileage, especially since life (including work) is getting pretty busy.  Saturday was my first progressive long run since the marathon - until now, I've had a limit of 12 miles.  And it went pretty well. 15 miles with the last 3rd at marathon pace effort was a non-issue, and not the strain I had partially anticipated.  My race on Thursday, though not a mindblowing performance, was also pretty good for where I am right now in my training.  So two confidence boosters in a week - not bad.

It's nice reminder to me that I don't need to overfocus on my strengths.  I tend to buy into the "more miles always better" mentality, since that's a truism for many.  And I like running lots of miles - it's right in my wheel house.    But, in my case, I fell like I'm thriving from backing off on the miles and increasing the quality of my runs.  I'm stretching out of my comfort zone, and just trusting that my endurance will be there when I need it.  It will be interesting to see how this all works out in a few weeks in my half-marathon.


Dailies

Monday:   Yoga plus 7 "miles" easy pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  8 miles, including a hill workout of 6 repeats up Iwo Jima (~500m up, then 200m jog, 100m stride, and 100m jog down to base of hill.   Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 6 miles very easy (9:35 pace) plus some drills and two strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, foam rolling and stretching.  In the evening, 2.5 miles warm-up plus a 4 mile race in 26:35.

Friday:  6 "miles" of pool-running, followed by 1000 yards swimming and a yoga class, plus foam rolling.

Saturday:   10 miles very easy (9:11 pace), plus drills and four strides.  Followed with upper body/core weights work.   Foam rolling at night.

Sunday:  15.5 miles progressive, split as first 5.5 at 8:56, next 4.5 at 7:50; last 5.5 at 7:07 pace.  Followed with lower body strengthwork and 1000 yards easy swimming.  Yoga and foam rolling later.

No comments:

Post a Comment