Sunday, March 6, 2016

Training log - Week ending 3/6/2016

This week was 45 miles of running, 5 "miles" of pool-running and 1200 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.

This is going to be a short weekly write-up, as I have work to do and a bad headache to nurse.  I cut back my mileage pretty heavily this week, and will for the next few.   I didn't have a great race, but I don't think that points to any issue with the taper (and I suspect the bad headache is more the result of the bad race than the cause). Sometimes shit just happens.

The cutback week did lead to this entertaining exchange on Saturday morning.

  • Me: "honey, I'm going running.  Back in about 30 minutes"
  • Brian: "Wait a minute - you're going running, but only for 30 minutes?  What's the point?  Why bother, if you're only running 30 minutes?"

Clearly, I've trained him well.

In other news, I'm registered to run the RNR USA Half next weekend.  After today's sucky experience, I briefly considered skipping it.  But I don't think that makes sense for me.  I really need to get back on the horse, so to speak.  Plus I have an established history of just racing better and better when I race quite a bit, and do little in between.

I made mistakes in this race, including overreaching slightly, and also just not.having.fun.  I can use RNR USA as a chance to work on running fast but relaxed, and having fun, rather than worrying about the final time.

I don't mean for the above to come across as "well, I'm not really racing RNR USA".  I dislike it when people sandbag before races: "well...you know I'm not really going to race this one" (unless you are truly planning on running it as a marathon pace workout or something similar, or jogging it in a costume).  Statements like that are self-sabotaging - they protect your ego in the short term, but also prevent you from reaching your potential, and harm you in the long term.

But for me, "running fast but relaxed, and having fun" is a racing strategy, and usually leads to my best times.   Heck, it worked well at 3M, where I was so happy just to make it to the starting line that I had no worries about how fast I ran.  So, I need to revisit that skill.

Dailies

Monday:   5 "miles" of pool-runnng, followed by yoga; foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  11 miles, including a workout of 1600, 4x800 (6:14, 2:59, 2:58, 2:57, 2:55), followed by  1200 yards easy swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Wednesday: 3 miles very easy (9:27 pace) followed by a yoga class. Later, another 5 miles easy (9:04).  Sports massage in afternoon.

Thursday:   6 miles easy (8:52) followed by drills and two strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  7 miles, including a "mile pick-up" in 6:17, plus six hill sprints.    Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  3 miles easy (8:47) plus drills.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday:  10 miles, including a ~3 mile warm-up, a 10K race in 41:00, and a half mile cooldown.  Felt horrible, with a bad headache, so skipped recovery swimming for a hot shower.   Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment