Monday, July 25, 2016

Training log - Week ending 7/24/16

This week was 56 miles of running, 20 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Training continues to go very well - temperatures are warm, but I'm handling the warmth and humidity very well this year.  And I feel like I'm recovering far better than I was before going on Advair - probably because I'm breathing and sleeping so much better.

I was particularly happy with Sunday's long run - though the temperature was not as apocalyptic as forecast, it did get quite warm - 86 degrees by the end of the run.  But the relative humidity wasn't awful, and a combination of plenty of water, a shady route, and conservative pacing yielded a confidence boost.

The final third of a progressive long run is supposed to be at marathon pace, and I generally try not to stop for any reason during that part.  That's because 5-6 miles continuous at marathon pace is very different, both mentally and physically, from 2x3 miles with a two or three minute water/bathroom/stretch break.

I broke that rule this weekend by stopping quickly during the marathon pace segment of my long run to refill my water bottle (which was the right choice - trust me).  However, this time I kept my watch running during the water break, which encouraged me to keep the stop very short (21 seconds, if you care).  

I don't think the quick stop affected the overall training stimulus from the run (my heart rate didn't drop at all).  It did give me a chance to practice quickly filling my bottle and resuming race pace, which is exactly what I do during my longer races.  I'm guessing that I'll be doing this (very short water stops, with the Garmin timer running) during my Chicago training runs this summer, rather than trying to tough it out for a continuous MP segment.  Staying on top of my hydration during my long runs will be essential to making it through August marathon training, and practicing the very quick water stop will help on race day.

Dailies 

Monday: yoga and 7 "miles" pool-running; foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 10 miles, including a track workout of 6x800 (3:02, 3:00, 3:02, 3:00, 2:58, 2:50), and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

Wednesday: 10 miles very easy (8:39) followed by upper body weights and foam rolling.

Thursday: 10 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night

Friday: 10 miles, including 6 hill repeats (~500m up, then 200m jog, 100m stride, and 100m jog down to base of hill). Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards easy swimming. Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles easy (9:10), plus upper body weights and core. 3 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday: 16 miles progressive, split as 9:08 for first 5 miles; 7:57 for next 6, 7:16 for last 5.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment