Monday, February 6, 2017

Training log - Week ending 2/5/17

This week was 44 miles of running,  17 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This week was punctuated by a 5K on Sunday - my first race since CIM (and my post-CIM break).   I ran the 5K in 19:34, which I took as a good sign that my fitness is going in the right direction. Though Sunday's race wasn't well-executed, it was still faster than I could have run, even 2 weeks ago.

What's amusing is that my watch disagrees with me.

My watch, like many others, has a fitness predictor - it assesses the distance, pace and heart rate of each of my runs against my maximum heart rate, and from that delivers an estimate of potential race performances at that point in time for different distances.

On Saturday afternoon, I did a hard reset of my watch, which erased all previous values and reset estimates to zero.  Sunday's 5K race was my first effort with the newly reset watch.

As noted above, I raced the 5K in 19:34.  Based on that performance, my watch estimated that I was capable of racing....a 5K in a little over 22 minutes.

I'm scratching my head over this one.

Of course, as Brian noted, this prediction is technically not wrong. If I'm capable of racing a 5K in 19:34, then I'm certainly capable of racing a 5K in 22:11.

But that argument just shows that Brian and I have utterly different definitions of what a "race" is, and I'm the only one who equates "race" to "the fastest I am capable of running for a set distance."

And apparently, my watch agrees with Brian.

Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, yoga and 7.5 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday
: In the morning, 11 miles including a workout of 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400 in 1:31, 3:03, 4:34, 6:06, 4:28, 2:56, 81.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam roller at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 8 miles very easy (9:04) to yoga, yoga, and then another 3 miles very easy (8:58), followed by drills and strides.  Sports massage at night.

Thursday: In the morning, 8 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: In the morning, 7.5 miles, mostly very easy (9:29), but with a mile pick-up in 6:26.  Followed with foam rolling.

Saturday:  In the morning, 3.5 miles very easy (8:52).   Foam rolling in the evening.

Sunday: 3.5 miles warm-up, and then a 5K race in 19:34 (6:25/6:23/6:09/37).  Followed with 4.5 miles very easy (8:59 pace).  Also 1000 yards recovery swimming plus 1.5 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling to get everything cooled down and stretched out.

No comments:

Post a Comment