Monday, March 20, 2017

Training Log - Week ending 3/19/17

This week was 40 miles of running and 12 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

The weather was a big story this week - a snowstorm hit DC on Monday night, forcing the cancellation of Tuesday's workout.  The track was unusable, and roads were too poor early Tuesday morning to safely drive to our back-up location, in the sheltered area under the Whitehurst Freeway.

You'd think that this would be a non-issue for me, since I was done training and in full taper for my goal half-marathon.  This workout really didn't matter.

Except that it did matter.  I've discovered that my best taper is to sharply cut back on my volume, while maintaining moderately high intensity until very close to the race.  Basically the opposite of my natural inclination to do lots of volume while skipping the intensity.  This optimal taper structure is why I do counter-intuitive things like lifting at the gym three days before my goal race (albeit very minimal - just enough to fool my body into thinking it did something).

So I wanted to get some sort of fast running on Tuesday - I didn't necessarily care about the exact format, and I didn't want anything TOO intense - but I needed SOMETHING.

Fortunately, I have both a flexible work schedule and an SUV (is it "an" SUV or "a SUV"?).  Around 8 am the roads were clear enough to be passable with all wheel drive, so I scheduled a "meeting" with the Whitehurst Freeway and ventured forth for 6 repeats of approximately 800m in distance at "fast-but-relaxed-and-don't-kill-it" effort.

The rest of the week was full taper, punctuated by a mile at half-marathon pace (this is usually prescribed as 10K pace, but I decided that I liked slowing it down, both so I could get a feel for half-marathon pace and because it'd be less effort.)

As I noted in my race report, I ultimately decided to redirect to the Shamrock Half-Marathon, rather than the New York City Half-Marathon.    On Sunday morning, my coach and I joked about how I had clearly made the right choice, as my team huddled in the steady rain and gale force winds.  The irony is not lost on me, as I write this weekly report while watching the replay of NYC, featuring clear roads and fast weather (I'm on vacation today, in case you're wondering).

But, I think I did make the right choice.  NYC is a PR course, and had PR weather that day.  But apparently that was true for Shamrock also.  I wanted a PR, and a 1:27.  I got or surpassed both, while also getting to experience one of those races that may be commiserated about for years to come.  And that's worth something.

The next few days are recovery - not a full break (that will come in June).


Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, yoga and 6 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday
: In the morning, 10 miles under the Whitehurst including a workout of 6x"800" in 2:53, 2:59, 2:55, 2:57, 2:50, 2:54 with 2 minutes recovery.  Followed with light injury prevention work.  Foam roller at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 7 miles very easy (9:08), followed by gentle DIY yoga and foam rolling.

Thursday: In the morning, 6 "miles" pool-running and some upper body strengthwork+core.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: In the morning, 7 miles - most very easy (9:39), but with a mile at goal half-marathon pace (6:39) plus drills and strides  Followed with foam rolling .

Saturday:  Drove down to Virginia Beach, then did foam rolling and gentle DIY yoga.

Sunday: 2.5 mile warm-up, half-marathon in 1:26:34, and then a half mile jog back to my hotel.  Skipped my traditional post-race recovery routine (foam-rolling, swimming) in favor of celebrating our 9th anniversary on Sunday night.  It was the right choice, but I'm feeling it as of Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment