Sunday, April 2, 2017

Training log - Week ending 4/2/2017

This week was 36 miles of running, 6 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Heh.  Not the greatest week.  It started to go downhill on Tuesday, with a workout that felt far harder than it should have.  My breathing wasn't great, which I attributed to the slightly warm and humid weather.  A puff of my rescue inhaler got me through it, and I decided to put it out of my mind, except for making an effort to really rest up over the next few days before my weekend race.

On Wednesday, my plan was to run short and easy, followed by drills and strides.  The "drills and strides" part was cut after I tripped and fell during the run.  My left knee took the full brunt of the fall.  Fortunately, no serious injury - just blood.

[at this point, I'll note that the world can be divided into people that do NOT want to see bloody knees, and those that can't resist the runner's version of a car crash.  For the first group, I omitted any pictures from this post.  For the second group - you can go here to see it in all its glory.]

So...I skipped my drills and strides and went directly home to clean it up.  Only to realize that what I thought was road rash was in fact a deep gash.  So off to the local urgent care center to get it checked out, cleaned up, and bandaged by professionals.  The good news was that no stitches were needed (because there was nothing left to stitch).  The better news was that the knee was a complete non-issue when running - no pain, no distortion of gait, nothing.

The bad news was (and is) that I can't go into the pool until the gash is no longer an "open wound."  No pool-running, no swimming.  As of Sunday it's still not ready for prime-time, so I suspect I'll be out of the water a few more days.

My breathing continued to be a concern for the rest of the week - which I attributed to the high pollen.  Not horrid, but not great.   I went ahead and targeted the Monument Avenue 10K anyway - rain was in the forecast for the day before, and my hope was that it would tamp down the pollen. Plus, between the fact that I'm in really good shape and the relatively short distance of a 10K, perhaps some race magic would happen.  It has before, after all.

But not this weekend.  Oh well.  Without the bad races, the good races wouldn't be so sweet.

After the race, I didn't feel great, so I skipped a cooldown.  No reason to pound my body more.  I decided to skip running on Sunday as well, save for a bit of jogging around at Cherry Blossom (where the weather was fantastic, though the pollen continued to be horrid - I HATE BLOOMING TREES).  Better to take a day off to recover, especially since I can't pool-run on Monday.

I have a prescription for a five day burst of prednisone to take when my asthma flares, so I'm starting that to get things under control again.  Under WADA/USADA rules, prednisone is legal out of competition, but not in competition.  So if I had started it this week, I would have had to skip racing this weekend.  But I have no races planned for the near future, so no reason not to take it now.  I'm also going to see the asthma/allergy doctor to see if there's anything else we can try.

Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, yoga and 6 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday
: In the morning, 10 miles, including a track workout of 4x1200 in 4:24, 4:25, 4:27 and 4:25.  Followed with light injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam roller at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 7 miles very easy (9:22), followed by a visit to urgent care.  Later did  DIY yoga and foam rolling.

Thursday: In the morning, light upper body weights and core plus 5  miles very easy (9:07), plus drills, strides, foam rolling.

Friday: In the morning, 3 miles very easy (9:34), followed by foam rolling.

Saturday:  3 mile warm-up and then 10K race in 41:23.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 2 miles as intermittent jogging at Cherry Blossom, followed by yoga.  Foam rolling in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment