Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Training log - Week ending 6/11/17

This week was 44 miles of running,  15 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

The highlight was clearly Saturday's 5K, where I broke 19, running 18:51.  In less than two weeks, I've checked off two major lifetime running goals - breaking 5:30 for the mile and 19:00 for 5K.

These times are significant to me - when I was in my late 30s, I ran 19:10 and 5:30, making those goals tantalizingly close.  But then I tore my hamstring and had to take much time off, followed by entering my 40s.  And the long slow hard climb back to fitness.

It's not that I thought those times were completely unachievable for me in my 40s, IF I specifically chased them to the exclusion of other goals.  However, I knew that I couldn't train for all distances at once, and I reasoned that it was better to focus on the longer stuff, where I had more opportunity for improvement.

I didn't think I'd ever be able to break 5:30 or 19 without specifically targeting those distances to the exclusion of all others.  I'm glad to be proven wrong.

***

In other news, I received my third Xolair shot this week (refresher: Xolair is a drug injected once a month that effectively turns off the body's ability to generate histamines, meaning no more allergies or allergic asthma).

Since I know several people are reading my blog to track my experience with Xolair, I'm going to do an entry focused solely on it at some point.  What I will note here is that the side effects that I noted with the first shot (fatigue, concentration difficulties, flu-like symptoms) were much reduced the second time around, and non-existent for the third shot.  So that's good news, and hopefully encouraging to others considering Xolair.  It's honestly been life altering for me.

Since going on Xolair I've been able to transition off the majority of my asthma and allergy medications, and I'm hoping to reduce or eliminate the rest in the next few months.  Notably, I've been running better and better after stopping those meds.  Which supports my belief that those meds hurt running as much as they help.  If you truly need to be on asthma and allergy meds, then you'll obviously run better with them than without - I know I did.  But if you don't need them, you're much better off without them, from both a health and a running performance perspective.

[obligatory note #1: Prednisone is the exception to the above - prednisone is like rocket fuel, and rightfully banned in competition.]

[obligatory note #2: I'm very careful that everything I take complies with WADA/USADA anti-doping regs, including the Xolair. Wondering how to check whether something is legal? Go here.]


Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, yoga and 6 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 10 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 1600, 2x800 in 2:53, 2:50, 5:50, 2:50, 2:46.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night

Wednesday:  In the morning, 8 miles very easy (9:02), followed by drills, strides, DIY yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: In the morning, upper body weights/core followed by 9 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: In the morning, 4 miles very easy (8:48) plus DIY yoga and foam rolling.

Saturday:  In the morning, 4 mile fartlek warm-up, then 5K race in 18:51 (6:04 pace).  Followed with 5 miles very easy (9:34).  Later did light injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in the evening.

Sunday: In the morning, 10 miles very easy (9:20), followed by upper body strengthwork and core.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment