Sunday, February 4, 2018

Training log - Week ending 2/4/18

This week was 37 miles of running, 34 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This was the second week of marathon training.  I'm a bit tired despite the moderate mileage reduction in the middle of the week, and the substitution of pool-running for land-running mileage.  

I find this to be the toughest part of marathon training.  Not the tired part, but rather the judgment call about when feeling tired is acceptable, and when it's a warning sign.  When to back off and when to push through.  

Recovery is my biggest challenge as a runner - I can't train myself into exhaustion and then bounce back with a 3 week taper as others seem able to do, so I have to be mindful.  At the same time, marathon training does mean periods of being tired - especially at the beginning at the cycle (adjusting to the new load) and at the end, when I'm ready to taper.  

My general rule of thumb is that I'm OK as long as I'm not grouchy, struggling to concentrate, or having difficulty falling asleep.  Right now, none of those apply, so I'll hold the course.  If any of those do pop up, then it's time to back way off for a day or two.

***

In other news, just because I get a kick out of it, here's a video of our blind cat, Topaz, playing fetch.  Completely non-running related, but my blog, my rules.




Dailies:

Monday: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running; foam rolling at night..


Tuesday: 12 miles, including 3200 in 12:50 (6:28/6:22) and then 4x800 all in 3:02.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 7 miles very easy (9:47) followed by drills and strides and DIY yoga.  90 minute deep tissue/sports massage at night.

Thursday
 Upper body weights and core plus 9 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday4 miles (9:02) followed by DIY yoga  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 3 mile warm-up, and then 10K race in 40:36. 5 mile cooldown and then 1000 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday:  16.5 "miles" pool-running, followed by foam rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment