Monday, March 26, 2018

Training Log - Week ending 3/25/18

This week was 40 miles of running, 11 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This week was messy in multiple weather induced ways.  Tuesday's workout was one of the most miserable I can recall - very windy, rain, 38 degrees, dark.  I was tempted to skip this one, but I get stale if I pull back too much on the intensity.  So I sucked it up and did the workout, trying to avoid straining since a) I had the Sunday 20 on my legs; b) I had a race coming up; and c) I'm tapering for my marathon anyway.

[plus straining in workouts is just a bad idea in general]

I was supposed to fly down to Florida for a work off-site on Wednesday morning, but a late season snowstorm screwed with that plan.  I ended up staying in DC after my flight was cancelled and I couldn't book a replacement that wouldn't both cost a fortune and get me there after most of the off-site was concluded.  Due to both weather conditions in DC and remote attendance of the off-site (I had to dial in at 7:50 each morning), I didn't end up running any more than I would have if I had attended the off-site.

Despite all the turmoil, Sunday's tune-up marathon went shockingly well.  I felt like I usually do in tune-ups - dull and stuck in a low gear - so to come so close to my PR was stunning.

Of course, this raises the question: should I have done a different race?  Many of my teammates did the Shamrock Half-Marathon a week before.  Shamrock is (in my opinion) the fastest legal half marathon course in the US, and the weather was perfect at Shamrock this year - resulting in a lot of great times and major PRs.    I didn't regret skipping it because I knew I wasn't going to PR anyway.

Only, apparently I might have, given how close I came to PRing on a slower course with not-quite-as-perfect weather.

On reflection, I'm still happy that I chose Philly Love Run over Shamrock.  I'll have plenty of other opportunities to PR at the half distance.  And there's no guarantee that I would have PRed at Shamrock - I might have had an off day or stepped in a pothole.

Plus, I much preferred the timing of Philly Love Run in terms of marathon training - important, since my ultimate goal for this cycle is a good marathon, not a fast half. 

Everyone's different, but for myself I like my training cycle to be:

1) 6 weeks of uninterrupted emphasis on marathon pace work and mileage, with just enough lactate threshold work to preserve that aspect of my fitness.

2) a half-marathon, raced all out, to serve as both a dress rehearsal for the marathon and a final very hard lactate threshold boost.

3) 3 weeks of reduced mileage while maintaining or slightly emphasizing the track speedwork, to peak.

When I do this right, I feel fresh on race day, with all the different aspects of my fitness peaking together.  Running a half-marathon earlier in the cycle just doesn't mesh in quite the same way for me (though it might for others).


Dailies:

Monday: Yoga and 7 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 9.5 miles, including a track workout of 2000, 4x800 (8:03, 3:05, 3:06, 3:07, 3:04), followed by a long hot shower and then 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 6.5 miles very easy (8:59) plus drills (didn't want to risk strides in snow).  DIY yoga and foam rolling in afternoon..

Thursday
 4
 "miles" pool-running.  Later snuck in light upper body weights/core and DIY yoga.   Foam rolling at night.

Friday7 miles, including a mile pick-up in 6:22.   Followed with DIY yoga and foam rolling.

Saturday:  Drove to Philly.  DIY yoga and foam rolling in afternoon.


Sunday:  
 2.5 mile warm-up, then half-marathon in 1:25:56.  1.5 cooldown and drive back to DC.  1000 yards recovery swimming and foam rolling in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment