Sunday, April 15, 2018

Training log - Week ending 4/15/18

This week was 19 miles of running, 12 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

The calm before the storm.  Or something like that.  The consequence of a Monday marathon is a week before that has very little of interest.

(well, except for the fact that my hotel misplaced the box of throwaway clothing, gels, and similar that I had shipped up earlier in the week.  That was interesting in the bad sense of the word.  Fortunately, the box was located.)

The forecast is literally for doom and gloom (40 degrees, rain, substantial headwind), but I'm at peace with it.  It's not the weather I would have chosen, but still vastly preferable to what I ran Hartford in last fall.  Heck - pollen will not be an issue tomorrow, and that's awesome.

And I have plenty of experience racing in similar conditions.  I learned from Shamrock 2017 that I can run very well in this weather, as long as I'm smart about pacing.  From last month's Philly Love Run I learned that I can run well in a solid headwind when others are using ME as the windblock (not that I intend to have that happen again).  And, Grandma's 2015 taught me that a race can be wrecked before it starts if you go hypothermic while waiting.  All are races that I've learned from, and I will apply those lessons here.

[heck, I even did a tempo workout during the bomb cyclone.  Whatever, wind.]

So...we'll see how things play out.  Obviously the weather isn't ideal, but I still believe that it is possible for me to run very well tomorrow, if I make smart decisions before and during the race.


Dailies:

Monday: 6 "miles" pool-running and DIY yoga; foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 7 miles, including a track workout of 4x800 in 3:00, 3:01, 2:57, 2:54.  Also 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Sports massage in afternoon.

Wednesday: 7 miles very easy (8:58) to the gym, 
drills and strides, and then some light injury prevention work and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling at night

Thursday
 Very light upper body strength and core, plus 
6 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday4 miles, including 1 mile at "conservative marathon pace" (7:05).  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: Travel to Boston.  DCA->Logan->expo->FedEx->Chipotle->hotel (after picking up stuffed animals and a poster at the expo, I immediately shipped them home so I didn't half to deal with them on the flight back).   DIY yoga and foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday:  1 mile shakeout (9:14), DIY yoga, foam rolling.  Chipotle.

No comments:

Post a Comment