Sunday, June 10, 2018

Training log - Week ending 6/10/18

This week was 50 miles of running, 12 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Taper taper taper.  Not very interesting, but sometime boring is the most effective way to train. 

It's taken me a few tries to learn how to taper effectively.  Some people can just shut stuff down or rest completely, and run very well off of that.  But I've learned from experience that too much rest can be almost as bad as too little for me.  It's a delicate balance - cutting back the volume some (on land, in the pool, and also during my strengthwork in the gym) but not too much.  While also maintaining the intensity, and being open to running a bit faster if I feel good.

For my Boston taper, I felt I made one mistake, which was forcing the speed during taper, rather than simply relaxing and letting the speed happen.  This time around I'm fixing that by never running faster than I feel comfortable doing.

It seems to be working - my legs have felt really good the last few days.  Hopefully that will continue through next Saturday.  

Next week will be pretty minimal.  Short pool-running on Monday, light track session of 3x800 on Tuesday (again, running comfortably fast, which might be 3:1x or 2:4x), 4-5 miles on Wednesday, and then 1 mile on Friday.  Thursday is travel, Saturday is the marathon, Sunday is whatever looks really good at Whole Foods when I get off the plane.

***

In other news, Justify won the triple crown yesterday.  This is the second year in a row that the Triple Crown has been won, and the second year that I have watched the Belmont and sworn the winner was about to fade, only to be proven wrong as he pulled away to dominate.

It's a good thing I don't gamble.  Ignore anything I ever say about horse racing, please.


Dailies


Monday: Upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a 3 mile warm-up (8:47), then a track workout of 800/2x1600/800 in 3:02, 6:05, 5:56, 2:46.   4.5 mile cool-down (8:58)  Also injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 9 miles very easy (9:03) plus drills/strides and DIY yoga.  Massage in afternoon.

Thursday
 Upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" of pool-running; foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 11 miles, including a 3 mile warm-up (8:40), a 5K tempo in 19:56 (6:37/6:19/6:16/0:44), and a 5 mile cool-down (oops - too long) (9:16).  Foam rolling in the evening.

Saturday: 8 miles very easy (8:53) followed by upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and foam rolling.

Sunday:  10 miles aerobic, averaging 7:51 pace.
  Followed with light injury prevention work, DIY yoga, and foam rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment