Sunday, August 19, 2018

Training log - Week ending 8/19/2018

This week was 46 miles of running, 24 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Stuff got juggled around a bit this week for multiple reasons.  

A relatively cooler Tuesday meant that we extended Tuesday's workout, while also shortening the recovery slightly (400m after the 1200s instead of the normal half-distance recovery; we kept the recovery after the 800s and 400 to half-distance).  By contrast, Friday's workout, normally a tempo or cruise intervals) was modified to 3200 (800 recovery), 2x800, and 2x200m.  We made the switch because I'm racing two road miles in the next three weeks, and so this workout made more sense for those goals.

As it turned out, Friday was fairly warm and humid, so the team all swapped to 3200 repeats anyway.  And since some of the fast guys run 3200m at the same pace I run 800m, I ended up with company for pretty much all of the workout.

Interestingly, despite the fact that Tuesday's weather was far nicer than Friday's, the Friday workout went much better.  My breathing wasn't great on Tuesday - I really should have just used my rescue inhaler, but I didn't due to a combination of being stubborn, blaming it on tired legs, and being in denial about the onset of hay fever season.  Instead, I just ran the workout by effort and grinded through.

On Friday, I accepted that which could no longer be denied, upped the meds, and whadyaknow - better workout.  Including running Friday's 3200m at a faster pace than my first 1200 on Tuesday.  Funny how that works.

[same PSA as always when I discuss this stuff - I'm really careful to make sure everything I take for my asthma/allergies is legal.  Wondering whether what you take is legal?  Check here.]

***

My grandfather passed away this Tuesday, at the age of 100.  Sad in a wistful way, but not unexpected.  My sense was that after his 100th birthday he was ready to go, which gives peace to his passing.
The big get-together for his 100th last November.


His memorial service is on Tuesday in Kansas (Collyer, Kansas), which is going to require a lot of travel.  The ghost town of Collyer is about 300 miles from either Kansas City or Denver - the two closest cities with direct flights from DC.  So I leave DC Monday afternoon and return sometime on Wednesday, with a lot of driving in between.  

Then, on Friday night, I have the USATF Masters Road Mile Championships in Flint Michigan.  In keeping with my normal MO (which means reduce travel time as much as possible), I'm flying into Michigan that morning and then out that evening post race.   I should be done with my race before 7 pm and my flight is at 10:15 pm, so hopefully this won't be too tight.

Because of all this travel, my coach and I moved my normal Tuesday morning track workout to Monday morning.  This way I don't have to worry about fitting in a workout while driving hundreds of miles, and I also get an extra day of rest between the track workout and Friday's race (though that rest will be compromised by all the travel).  

A Monday track workout means no Sunday long run, so I spent this Sunday in the pool.  Not really an issue - marathon training doesn't start until next month, and I've certainly done enough long runs this year anyway.


Dailies

Monday: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 12.5 miles, including a track workout of 3x(1200, 800, 400) in 4:46, 3:05, 88;  4:39, 3:01, 88;  4:32, 2:58, 85.  Followed with injury prevention and leg strength work, and then 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.


Wednesday:  8 miles very easy to yoga (9:14), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (9:02).  Foam rolling at night.


Thursday
 7.5 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 2x800, 2x200 in 12:34 (6:21/6:13), 2:55, 2:52, 40, and 39.   Followed with injury prevention and leg strength work, and then 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10.5 miles very easy (9:13), followed by DIY yoga and foam rolling.


Sunday:  8 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather, Cris. Hope all goes well with the traveling and funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss. A solid week for you.

    ReplyDelete