Monday, November 12, 2018

Training log - Week ending 11/11/18

This week was 42 miles of running, 15 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This was the first week of what I consider my four week marathon taper (which started after my last 20+ miler).   The first week of the taper is resting for a tune-up half, and then the next three weeks are recovering from the half and resting for the full.

I like racing a half-marathon three weeks before the marathon - it's not just a race, but also the final big workout before my marathon.  Basically, the ultimate in tempo workouts. 

I usually don't race these half-marathons that well - their value is in the preparation for the marathon.  Richmond was apparently the exception - this may be the first time I've PR'd at a shorter distance during a marathon training cycle.  

Usually, during my tune-up races, I feel stuck in a lower gear - like I could have run further at the same pace, but not any faster.  That wasn't the case at Richmond - I had that higher gear, and when I finished, I was done.  

I'm not sure what that means for my marathon.  I guess I could get concerned about it, but I also think there's a logical explanation in that this cycle has been pretty short, so I haven't accumulated much fatigue.  I could get concerned about that also, but I've got a solid base from my previous marathons this year - that should carry me through.  I just needed to get sharp for CIM, and I appear to be there.  And it's really nice to know I already have a PR from this cycle.

As for the coming week?  My immediate future plan is just to recover from Richmond - resting up and absorbing the gains from that hard run is far more important than trying to rack up some late cycle miles.



Dailies

Monday: Upper body weights/core, DIY yoga and 8 miles very easy (8:45) plus drills.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 9.5 miles, including 5x800 (3:00, 2:59, 2:55, 2:55, 2:54).  Also 500 yards of recovery swimming (skipped the leg strengthwork).   Massage in afternoon.

Wednesday: DIY yoga and 7 miles very easy (8:57) plus drills.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: Light upper body weights/core, DIY yoga and 6 "miles" pool-running.  Foam-rolling at night.

Friday 2 miles very easy (9:33).  Drive to Richmond.  DIY yoga in hotel room.

Saturday: 2 mile warm-up, and then Richmond Half-Marathon in 1:24:22.  Drive back to DC.

Sunday:  9 "miles" pool-running.  Foam-rolling in evening.






1 comment:

  1. Obviously you're super sharp. I'm betting on a big PR at CIM!

    ReplyDelete