Monday, July 29, 2019

Training log - Week ending 7/28/2019

This week was 61 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Back on the track.   This week was really about getting a sit rep on where my fitness is.  And I'm happy with where I am - while I'm not in my top shape right now, I'm not bad at all.   The long run was by far the easiest workout of the week, which makes sense since I'm generally best at long runs anyway, and my work over the last month has been very strength-focused.

I'm especially happy with how my running feels - a month of trying to make my butt strong with hill work, lots of running drills, and gym time has resulted in what feels like a lot more power, and my gait also just feels smoother and more "on."  

So that's nice.  My plan is to spend the next few weeks layering some shorter distance speed onto this base fitness, and then to try to transition that speed into a marathon training cycle, peaking in late October/early November for the Columbus Half-Marathon and the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon.

I also used this week to test out my new warm-up routine - the same routine I tried at the Harrisburg mile.  It's about 15-20 minutes of easy jogging, and then 
1) 3 minutes at half-marathon effort (followed with 90 seconds jog);
2) 4x30 seconds at 5K effort with 30 second recovery (followed with 90 seconds jog);
3) 4x10 seconds at mile effort with 20 second recovery.

I tried this for both my track workouts this week, and it worked very well.  It's probably worth noting that half-marathon effort does not yield anything near half-marathon pace when I do this warm-up - this isn't surprising since I'm not yet warmed up when I start that 3 minutes.  But... the point of the warm-up is to be ready to run well in the workout or race, so I'm not too concerned with that.

I think this warm-up is a keeper.  I just need to figure out whether there's any point to doing strides after it, though, since the 4x10 seconds at mile effort fill the same need.

[also worth noting that the original version of this warm-up, as told to me, is 3 minutes at 15K effort (not HM) and 4x30 seconds at 3200m effort (not 5K).  But I feel that easing up slightly on the efforts works better for me.]



Dailies 

Monday: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x1600, 2x800, 2x200 in 6:15, 6:07, 2:58, 2:50, 37, 38.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:02), plus drills and strides, and then yoga.  Followed with another 4 miles very easy (8:53).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:  9.5 "miles" pool-running and upper body strengthwork/core in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 12 miles, including a 4 mile (6400m) tempo on the track in 25:47 (6:35/6:24/6:27/6:21).  Followed with 6 short steep hill sprints, leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  10 miles very easy (8:45), plus drills, 4 hill strides, upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 averaging 8:33; next 6 averaging 7:26; last 4 averaging 6:51. Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely need a new warm up for shorter races. My "jog two miles, do strides" thing isn't really cutting it.

    ReplyDelete