Sunday, January 5, 2020

Training log - Week ending 1/5/2020

This week was 60 miles of running, 27 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming -- training log is here.

No track workouts this week.  Just a race on Tuesday night, and then a marathon pace workout on Saturday.  I was really happy with the race on Tuesday night.  It may seem a bit odd to be happy about running my 10 mile PR pace in a 4 mile race, but that's often how this race goes.  It's just a slow one, due to hills, turns, and low visibility.  I can't really come to any absolute conclusions about my fitness from this race; but I can conclude that I am relatively fitter than I thought I was.

The morning after the race, I went with a hybrid day - splitting my mileage between land and pool - it felt like that was the best choice for getting some volume in while also recovering from the race.  It apparently worked, since I was recovered in time to do a marathon pace workout on Saturday morning (I had been unsure whether I'd be doing that workout on Saturday, Sunday, or even Monday - I find it hard to recover from evening races, especially those followed by staying out late being social).

I was really happy with Saturday's workout - 6:45 pace felt very realistic and controlled.  I'm still not quite where I was this fall, but I've got 8 more weeks to get there before One City, so I'm right on schedule.

I have the Houston Half Marathon in two weeks, so I'll get some decent volume in this coming week, and then do a shorter long run next Sunday as part of my taper for that race, before cutting back the volume the week after.



Dailies

Monday:  Yoga and 10 "miles" pool-running. Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 3 miles very easy (9:07).  In the evening, 4 mile warm-up, 4 mile race in 24:55, 3 mile cooldown.

Wednesday: 3 miles very easy to yoga (9:07), yoga, 3 miles very easy home (8:58) and then 6 "miles" pool-running.

Thursday: Full body lifting and core, followed by 11 "miles" of pool-running.  Sports massage in the afternoon.

Friday:  5.5 miles very easy (9:31), yoga, and then 6.5 miles very easy (8:56) plus drills and four strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 17 miles, including a marathon effort workout of 2x5 miles at marathon effort with 1 mile float in between.  Split as 33:42 (6:49/6:47/6:44/6:43/6:39 - 6:44 pace) and 33:45 (6:42/6:48/6:49/6:45/6:41 - 6:45 pace).  Recovery in between was 7:42.  Followed with leg injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 7 miles very easy (9:18), drills and two strides, upper body weights and core, and then 4 miles very easy (8:57).  Foam rolling in afternoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment