Sunday, April 12, 2020

Training log - Week ending 4/12/2020

This week was 62 miles of running and 9 miles walking -- training log is here.

Still keeping to my rhythm of three hard days a week.  I mix short hills and a longer interval on Tuesdays, and then reverse with a mix of longer hills and short intervals on Friday.  Sunday is for a moderate length long run getting down to marathon effort (but no faster) at the end.   

I'm deliberately avoiding classic intervals and tempos right now because those get me fit, and I don't want to be fit.  I just want to sit in neutral for now, stay strong, and enjoy.

For the immediate future, I'm going to be keeping my Tuesday and Friday workouts on the treadmill - it's just easier that way.  Things are extremely variable right now and I can't depend on the place I planned to run a workout being open when I get there.  That's OK on weekends, when I have time to reroute.  But during the week I'm fitting my running in around my job, which is still going full force (I was 100% telecommuting even before this).  So it's nice to have the treadmill as a reliable place to do a workout at home.

I also don't mind running on the treadmill.  I think it's because I'm a rhythm runner, and so being able to just lock into a groove for 60 or 90 minutes is totally in my comfort zone.  I am trying to keep a good mix of indoor and outdoor running simply because outdoor running includes lateral stresses that I don't get on the treadmill, from uneven pavement and from turning.   

I'm doing enough treadmill running at this point that I could shift to 100% of my mileage on the treadmill if I had to, but I'd really rather not from a durability standpoint.  If I do have to go there, I'll make a special effort to do more lateral work (side lunges, perhaps some shuttle drills in our living room) to compensate.



Dailies

Monday:  Streaming yoga and 4 mile walk.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles on the treadmill, including a hill/tempo mix of two short hills (around 70 seconds on a 4.5 incline), 10 minute tempo (6:30 pace); two more short hills, 10 minute tempo at 6:28 pace, two more short hills.  2:30 minute jogging recovery after each hill or tempo/interval segment.  Followed with injury prevention work  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 5 miles very easy on the treadmill (9:03), live streaming yoga, 7.5 miles very easy (8:47) plus drills and hill strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: Upper body weights/core and 5 mile walk.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  12 miles on the treadmill, including an imitation Iwo Jima workout - 8 repeats of the following:

-2:00 at a strong effort on a 3.0 incline (the Iwo Jima hill averages a 3% incline)
-1:30 easy effort on a 0.5 incline
-0:30 fast on a 0.5 incline
-1:00 easy effort on a 0.5 incline.

Followed with leg strengthwork and the first 20 minutes of a streaming yoga class to loosen up
Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles very easy (9:08), drills and two hill strides, and live streaming yoga. :Later did upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 15.5 miles, including 14 miles progression (split as first 4 averaging 9:07, next 4 averaging 7:36, next 6 averaging 6:55) and a 1.5 mile cooldown.  Followed with streaming yoga and lower body strengthwork. Foam rolling at night.






1 comment:

  1. Nice week! I'm glad you are liking the treadmill. I remember many years ago you did a lot of running on the mill-- just like me!

    ReplyDelete