Sunday, January 10, 2021

Training log - Week ending 1/10/2021

This week was 53 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming and 15 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here

This was a rough week - my old retired horse was put to sleep on Wednesday.  At 31 years of age it was not at all a surprise when he started failing, and I am completely at peace with my decision, but it was still a sad day.  


Of course, Wednesday was also when it all went to hell in the DC area.  Basil was put to sleep about 90 minutes before things blew up.  I kept him about 4 hours away, and had always intended to be with him when he passed, but decided Wednesday morning that I just couldn't leave the DC area - my hunch was that things were going to get bad and I didn't want to risk not being able to get home.  Guess I was right, unfortunately.


This week's events were obviously stressful for most in the US, but especially hard on those us in the immediate area - DC/Arlington/Alexandria.  Though we're several miles from the Capitol, those who came in for the protests were staying at hotels all around, including one very close to my house.  And while I believe that the vast majority of those who came into DC were just there to express their views (as is their right and welcome), there was that small subset that came to destroy and harm.  And I'm sure some of that subset stayed near me.


I had some fears of property damage during the protests this summer.  But the events of this week were far more scary from both a property damage perspective and a personal safety perspective (though my worries in no way compare to those of Capitol Hill residents).


The next few weeks and even months are going to be fun.  We were put under a curfew on Wednesday, and I'm anticipating more in the next few weeks if things erupt again.  I must be getting old, because I welcomed the curfew.


At least my running went well this week.  I started a new long acting asthma medication this week called Breo.  My asthma doctor has wanted me on Breo, but it's always been prohibited by WADA/USADA.  So we've gone with the next best thing - Advair.  However, as of January 1, 2021 Breo is off of the prohibited list - no TUE required as long as I use it in the normal dosage (1 puff a day).  So I swapped as of January 3.  Perhaps my good run on Saturday was due to the switch?  Or perhaps it was just a good day.  


Either way, it's nice to have a medication that I take once a day, not twice.  Having to puff Advair every 12 hours was usually fine, but sometimes it could be inconvenient to take the evening dose if I was on a plane or doing an evening race.  With Breo, I just take it when I wake up and I'm set for 24 hours.  Woo!



Dailies 


Monday: 5 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga. Foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 7 miles easy outside (9:13), plus drills and 2 hill strides, followed by upper body weights/core and then 3 miles and 2 miles at 9:02 pace on the treadmill (playing with a speed sensor).   Foam rolling at night.

;

Wednesday: 12 miles on the treadmill, including a workout of 7x1K with 80-90 second jogged recoveries.  Splits were supposedly 3:55, 3:53, 3:49, 3:44, 3:44, 3:42, and 3:41 but I suspect my sensor was reading too fast for the last couple.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.


Thursday:  5 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga in the morning; foam rolling at night.


Friday: 8 miles easy outside (9:07), plus drills and two strides, followed by upper body weights/core and 4 miles very easy on the treadmill (8:51). Foam rolling at night.


Saturday: 17 miles, including a marathon pace workout of 4, 3, 2, 1 miles at marathon effort with 1 mile float in between.  Splits were:


4 miles in 27:44 (7:00/7:03/6:51/6:50 - 6:56 pace); 7:29 float;

3 miles in 20:34 (6:59/6:50/6:45 - 6:51 pace); 7:40 float;

2 miles in 13:23 (6:42/6:41 - 6:42 pace); 7:31 float;

1 mile in 6:31.


(the 4 and 3 mile sets were each a headwind for the first half, and a tailwind for the second; the 2 and 1 mile sets had a tailwind the whole way.)  

 
Followed with leg strengthwork and then 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.


Sunday:  Streaming yoga in the morning.  5 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling in afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment