Sunday, May 22, 2022

Training log - Week ending 05/22/2022

This week was 40 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming and 24 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

This was a somewhat chaotic week. I was supposed to get an IUD on Tuesday, and so I took some medication (misoprostol) on Monday night to "soften up" my cervix. I woke up on Tuesday morning and felt very dull. I started my warm-up and decided the workout was not in the cards, so I pushed it back to Wednesday and went back home. 

Of course, then the IUD didn't happen because apparently my uterus is very small (5 cm in length and also retroflexed), so I need to try again this coming week with a smaller IUD and a sonographer.   This coming Tuesday will be my THIRD try at getting this thing in.  At age 48, I am questioning if it's really worth this much effort - I think if the third try doesn't work, I'll just move on and discuss other options.  

Pushing the Tuesday workout to Wednesday meant that had to rework the rest of the week. I ended up doing a long run on Saturday, which was the first hot day of the year. I had planned to do 3x2 miles at half-marathon effort, but revamped that to sets of 4 minutes on/3 minutes off - do as many as you feel like at between marathon and half-marathon effort. As it turned out - 6 was the right number - each repeat would start at the right effort and then my heart rate would skyrocket.. Then I just jogged a few miles to get to 14 and called it my long run for the week.

The good news is that I handled this Saturday's weather (80 degrees with a dew point of 70) MUCH better than I handled last Sunday's weather (65 degrees with a dew point of 64).  I also stopped taking the Slynd (birth control pill that is very dehydrating) this week.  I am very sure these two points are connected.

Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga.   Foam rolling at night.  

Tuesday: 2 miles (9:52).  Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday:  10 miles, including a track workout of 5x800, 2x400, 2x200 in 3:29, 3:23, 3:23, 3:22, 3:21, 98, 1:42, 49, 49.  Recovery of 2:3x-2:4x between the 800s, full recovery for 400s and 200s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Massage in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running, drills, and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening

Friday: 3.5 miles (9:41), timed the team workout, and then 5.5 miles (9:39) plus drills, hill sprints, and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night

Saturday: 14 miles, including a fartlek of 6x4 minutes at marathon to half-marathon pace/effort with 3 minutes off.  Paces for the "ons" were 7:51, 7:42, 7:33, 7:17, 7:17, and 7:09.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 5 miles easy (9:51) and 6 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling in afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment