Sunday, December 4, 2022

Training log - Week ending 12/04/2022

This week was 52 miles of running, 1000 ~yards of swimming and 33 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

I had two workouts this week, and both fell on mornings with sub-par weather - mid-40s (good) but steady rain and brisk winds.  It was miserable weather but not unsafe weather, so I just sucked it up and did the workouts, and they were less miserable than I expected.

At this point, I'll note that I have my cold/rainy weather gear nailed.  That gear is:

  • a cycling raincoat (the side vents are cooling if I start to overheat and the longer back keeps my butt dry); 
  • waterproof construction gloves bought at a hardware store; 
  • shorts (because tights just absorb water); 
  • a hat; and 
  • Vaseline on my face.
Wearing all this, I can stay reasonably comfortable for 2-3 hours in cold rain, including hard running.

This was my first full week on Sinemet, which I take every 5 hours after waking (3 doses total).  

So far, it seems to be really helping.  I increased the dose on Friday per doctor's orders, and felt even better.  At times, my gait felt wonderful - relaxed and even bouncy again.

The downside is that the Sinemet does seem to wear off.  During Saturday's marathon pace workout my legs stiffened up a lot in the late miles - I don't think this was due to fatigue as much as just the fact that I was nearly due for another dose.  I am going to have to give some thought as to how to structure taking the Sinemet with racing.  (It's unfortunately not as easy as just taking it right before the race as I also have to coordinate taking the Sinemet with my food intake).

But still, I'm feeling really positive.  The trick to fixing an issue is finding something that makes a difference - any difference.  Once you figure out how to move the needle, then you're well on the way to fixing the issue.  And Sinemet definitely moves the needle.

Monday: 9 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: Upper body weights/core and 11 miles very easy (9:41) plus drills/strides.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: 12 miles, with 4800m, 3200m, 1600m in 22:11, 14:26, and 7:00, with 5:00 jog between each.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 12 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.   Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: Upper body weights/core and 12 miles very easy (9:41) plus drills/strides.  Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 17 miles, including 2x5 miles in 37:38 (7:32) and 38:39 (7:44). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 meters recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 12 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.   Foam rolling at night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment