Sunday, April 23, 2023

Training log - Week ending 4/23/2023

This week was 67 miles of running, 1500 yards of swimming and 9 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

My mileage is artificially high this week because I took one of my recovery pool-running days on Sunday instead of Monday, resulting in one week at 50 miles and the next week at 67 miles.  Had I swapped those two days, then I would have had two weeks at 58 and 59 miles - essentially even.  Which just shows how weekly mileage is not always that great a metric to focus on.  In my case, average mileage over 14 days is a much better metric.

I remain really happy with how things are progressing.  For the second week in a row, I was actually able to run hard during the Tuesday workout, with the welcome result that I ran an 800m repeat in under 3:10 for the first time since September 2021.  Of course, in that September 2021 workout I also ran an 800m repeat in under 3 minutes, so I still have a lot of work ahead of me.

I keep thinking that one of my limiters has simply been that I have been unable to run faster than roughly tempo pace on my interval workouts due to the dystonia, so I've lost some fitness just from being unable to train at faster paces.  Now that things are improving, I'm able to do some faster running, and hopefully my fitness will come around quickly.

Friday's tempo felt decent, if uncomfortable.  I used that tempo run to test out the Nike Vaporfly3, in hopes that would be my new racing shoe.  The answer?  NOPE.

I just never felt comfortable in the shoe - it gives too much when I push off.  I may give the shoe another try in a few months, since I'm still working on ankle and leg stability.  But for now, I'm sticking with a mix of the Adidas Adios 7 and the Asics Metaspeed Edge+ for my fast running.

Monday: 8 miles (9:11) and upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 2k, 4x800 in 8:29, 3:15, 3:14, 3:11, 3:07.  5:10 recovery after the 2K and 2:4x-2:5x recovery for the 800s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night. 

Wednesday: Streaming yoga and 11 miles very easy (9:14) plus two hill sprints and drills.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 9 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 11 miles, including a 6400m tempo in 27:37 (7:03/6:56/6:54/6:44).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 10.5 miles very easy (9:03), followed by drills and strides and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 14.5 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:17, next 5.5 miles averaging 7:53 pace (tailwind for a lot of these), and final 4 miles averaging 7:31 (headwind).  Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in the afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment