Sunday, July 16, 2023

Training log - week ending 7/16/2023

This week was 63 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming, and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Anyone who closely scrutinizes my training will note the addition of some grass running and some trail running to my easy runs.  I don't do all of my runs on these surfaces, just anywhere between a few minutes (grass) to a few miles (easy trail). The hope is that this will improve my ankle strength and proprioception.

The week started cooler and drier, which was great for the Tuesday track workout. I managed to dip under 3:10 for an 800 again, which was encouraging.  By the weekend the heat and humidity was back - "marathon effort" yielded me a pace about 40 seconds slower than I hope to hold at my fall marathon, but that's summer training in DC.

The good news is that I'm feeling strong and like I am in much better shape than I was last year at this time. Hopefully that means good things for Chicago.

Dailies:

Monday:  90 minutes pool-running.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday:  11 miles, with a track workout of 2000, 5x800 in 8:35, 3:18, 3:16, 3:14, 3:10, 3:07; 5:42 recovery after the 2K and 3:0x-3:3x recoveries after the 800s (yes, very long).  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday: 11 miles very easy (9:58), including some grass-running and drills/hill sprints; yoga at lunch time.   Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 11 miles, including 7 alternate Iwo Jima hills (about 2:30 up a 2.5% incline, 60 second jog, 30 second stride, and then 60 seconds jog).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 11.5 miles very easy (10:20) including some trail running and then upper body weights/core.

Sunday: 17 miles, with the first 13 miles averaging 9:29 pace and the next 4 miles averaging 8:02 pace. Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment