This week was 62 miles of running, 15"miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming.
Somewhat random musing:
I've been running marathons for 19 years now - from age 33 to age 52. And in that nearly two decades my training has evolved as I've aged.
When I was in my 30s, I'd do two track workouts a week, plus a long run, and seemed to handle that OK. In my early 40s, I shifted to five workouts over two weeks. Then, as I approached and passed 50, I transitioned to two hard days a week - either two track workouts and no long run (if not marathon training) or a big mid-week track workout and a weekend long run if marathon training.
Now, as I'm getting into my mid-50s, my schedule is shifting again. Even with the benefit of supershoes, I don't seem to be able to recover fully if I do both a big mid-week workout (something like 14 miles with 3x2 miles at 10 mile effort) and a quality long run in the same week. So, I'm now doing a "normal" workout during the week (either intervals or tempo), then taking two easy days before the quality long run, and then several easy days after the long run.
(the one exception, of course, is when I intentionally do a track workout and then an easy long run the day after, followed by at least three easy days).
This evolution hasn't been planned (no "at 52 I will train like this"), instead it's just an ongoing reflection of how my body recovers as I age (and I'm sure Parkinsons plays a role also). Good training is all about optimizing the balance of stress and recovery, and if my body isn't recovering as well as it used to, then my training needs to change to match that. At least that's been my experience.
So far, I seem to be responding well to this change in structure, as I feel like I'm seeing more progress this training cycle than in previous ones. My interval workouts continue to get faster and this Saturday's 2x5 miles at marathon effort felt solid. Unlike two weeks ago, where I ran the final marathon effort miles way too hard, I kept them under control this week. Of course, it's much less tempting to overcook things when the marathon effort intervals are 5 miles long, not 1-2 miles.
***
Monday: 8 miles very easy (9:52) in the morning, upperbody weights/core plus foam rolling in evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment