Sunday, November 6, 2011

Training log - Week ending 11/06/11

This week was 62 miles of "real running" and 18 "miles" pool running, plus 2000m of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

Decent week overall, nothing too notable. I was fighting off something mild at the end of this week that made me feel a bit off on both Friday and Saturday. Not enough to cut out all activity, but I erred on the side of keeping stuff easier, and cut stuff like weight training and yoga. By Sunday I was feeling better, but still kept my long run a bit shorter, and was careful not to push. This week is also going to be easy, due to tapering for the Richmond Half-Marathon, which I run on Saturday.

Dailies

Monday: In the morning, 60 minutes of easy pool-running for "6 miles", plus 1000m of swimming breathing drills and upper body/core strength training. Foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 10 miles, including a track workout of 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400, 2x200, each with 1/2 distance recovery. Did 4:29, 4:29, then 2:52, 2:49, then 83, 83, and then 37, 37 (consistency FTW - apparently I should have slowed a bit on the 2nd 800). Followed by a shakeout 20 minutes of pool-running ("2 miles"). Injury prevention work, floor barre class, and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: In the morning, 9 easy miles (7:56 pace) followed by yoga and then 6 more easy miles (7:51 pace). The chill plus flat trails makes for a faster easy . Foam rolling and stretching at night.

Thursday: In the morning, upper body strength work, 55 minutes of easy pool-running for "5.5 miles" plus 1000m of swimming breathing drills. Foam rolling in the evening.

Friday: In the morning, 12.5 miles, including a 4 mile tempo ("slow and short") in 26:48 (6:52, 6:49, 6:40, 6:27 - average 6:45 pace), followed by 15 minutes of easy pool-running for "1.5" miles. A very easy pilates class in the evening, plus foam rolling.

Saturday: 8.5 very easy miles (8:12 pace) in the morning; injury prevention exercises and foam-rolling in the afternoon (cut the weight training).

Sunday: 16 miles. My Garmin ate the data, apparently due to a DST adjustment issue (as of Sunday 3 pm, it seems to believe that it’s Saturday at 4pm, which may mean I get my data in a day). Luckily, I recall the exact duration of my run, and also had a few friends with me for the first 14 miles. Based on some simple math, I averaged 7:28 pace, with the first 14 at 7:33 pace, and the final 2 at 7:00 pace. Followed with 30 minutes of easy pool-running for "3 miles". Skipping yoga tonight, both to get some extra rest and because I have a conference call that conflicts. Just foam-rolling and stretching.

5 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of your mileage and speed! There is a bug roaming around DC/NOVA. Take care of yourself this week. I am thinking about doing the half in Richmond this weekend as well. I will let you know! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it my imagination or are you building mileage? :) Nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks y'all. Jessica - it'd be fun to have you there!

    Flo, I've actually been holding steady at ~60 ish, with an 18 mile long run, since the Philly Half (with cut back weeks due to races). I've feel like I've been running much better on that mileage.

    Over the summer, I was closer to 45-50, with most of my long runs at 14 (a few at 16). I think in retrospect that was too little. I feel significantly stronger with the longer long run and the higher mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed a gradual increase in mileage over the past month or so too. Probably a happy medium between your summer mileage and your 90+ weeks! I enjoyed seeing you at the workouts this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, my garmin too! I thought I just wasn't looking at it correctly. This morning, same thing. Did you upload it and it still didn't work?

    Anyway, great week, you've seriously been fast as anything since the weather cooled off and you're easing your mental game!

    I'm excited to see how Richmond goes for you - GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete