Sunday, November 20, 2011

Training log - Week ending 11/20/11

This week was 66 miles of "real running" and 17 "miles" pool running plus 2000m of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

Another week full of personal stresses, but with good running (kept it very easy early in the week). Of course, I have a nasty habit of using running as mental therapy, and thus end up going farther than I should (the watchless thing doesn’t help me avoid this). I may need to program a mileage limit on my Garmin.   I had one of my best tempos ever on Friday morning -- I really thrive in the 35 degree weather that hit us on Friday.

Next week will be a cut back week, both due to the fact that I’ve got a lot of other things going on, and that I’m planning on racing on Thursday morning (most likely a 5k).

Dailies

Monday: In the afternoon, some upper body strength work, 1000m of swimming breathing drills, and 55 minutes of easy pool-running for "5.5 miles".

Tuesday: In the morning, 12 miles easy (7:59 pace) and then 20 minutes of easy pool running for "2 miles". Injury prevention work, floor barre class, and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: In the morning, 12 miles very easy (8:34 pace) and then 1000m of swimming breathing drills. Foam rolling in the evening.

Thursday: In the morning, some upper body strength work and 55 minutes of easy pool-running for "5.5 miles". Injury prevention work at night.

Friday: In the morning, 13.5 miles (oops) including a 4 mile track tempo in 25:45 (6:30/6:30/6:27/6:18 - 6:29 pace). Followed with 15 minutes of easy pool-running, for "1.5" miles. Pilates class plus foam rolling at night.

Saturday: In the morning, 10.5 miles easy on the towpath (7:52 pace) plus upper body and core strength work and injury prevention exercises.

Sunday: A progression long run of 18 miles averaging 7:37 pace overall (divided as 8:29 pace for first 3.5 miles, 7:53 for next 3.5, 7:35 for next four, 7:14 for next five, then final two at 6:46 and 6:25). Followed with 25 minutes of easy pool-running for "2.5 miles," plus some foam rolling.

5 comments:

  1. I sometimes run the stress out and end up with a few bonus miles, too. I hope it helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ran that many miles the week after a 1:29 half? Where is that "bowdown" icon when you need it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Beth - yup - I've always had my highest mileage weeks during stressful times. Fortunately, mileage takes very little out of me; it's speed that drains me.

    @Elizabeth - remember that the half was on Saturday, so I actually had 5 days of recovery. 2 days of easy pool running, 2 days easy running, one more day of easy pool running, and back to work. The race was on Saturday, so my recovery stretched into last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to say the same thing as Elizabeth. I'm impressed. It took me a week to feel normal again.

    ReplyDelete