Monday, November 12, 2012

Training log - Week ending 11/11/12



This week was 25 miles of “real running” plus 10 running equivalents on the arc-trainer (call it 35 miles total), plus 16.5 “miles” pool running and 2500 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here. 

And…we’ll go straight to the breaking news.  I’m a DNS for the Philly Marathon (confirmed after speaking with my coach Sunday morning).  I’ll do a lengthy overanalytical brain droppings post soon, I’m sure, but the shortened version is that the plantar fasciitis in my foot flared up pretty badly after my tempo workout this Friday, despite running the workout short and slow.  As of Sunday, 7 days out, it’s still sore.  I could line up in Philly next Sunday, but I won’t be 100%.  And I don’t want to run a marathon just for the sake of running it, hobble across the finish line in some random time, and then spend an absurdly long time rehabbing a major injury.  I don’t run races just to finish, and I don’t see anything admirable in self-destruction for the sake of a medal.

Plan for now is to go straight into recovery mode.  My full focus now is on getting healthy again, and also using this opportunity to take a rest break – I’ve been training pretty hard since August.  Once I’m 100%, then we’ll start planning next races, and whether to take another crack at a marathon.    But again, that all comes after I’m healthy.

The good thing about running is that, though there are down times, a down time just means the next high point is ahead.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 50 minutes of easy pool-running, 500 yards of swimming breathing drills, and some upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 10 miles outside, including 4 miles at MP (7:00, so too fast).  Physical therapy in mid morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 60 minutes of easy pool-running for 6 miles, plus 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills.  Yoga at night, plus foam rolling.

Thursday:   In the morning, 8 miles easy (7:52 pace), followed by injury prevention work and upper body strengthwork, and then physical therapy.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Friday:  In the morning, 7 miles on the track, including a cautious 5K tempo in 20:24 (6:34 pace, splits of 6:38, 6:30, 6:29, 0:47).  Pilates at night, plus foam rolling.

Saturday:   In the morning, 60 minutes of easy pool-running and 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills, followed by a massage.  Upper body weights in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, 80 minutes on the Arc-trainer at easy run effort for “10 miles”.  Yoga and foam rolling at night.

11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the plantar fasciitis flare up - but you are a smart woman, as you say, running will always be there, and another high is in the future. Something about "the darkest hour is just before the dawn" seems to ring very true with endurance sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I have a history of having really great races at races I had to DNS or DNF the year before. That may hold true.

      Delete
  2. Awww. . . really sorry to read this, Cris. Are you sure you won't be okay by Sunday, even if you extreme taper? I totally understand not wanting to race if you aren't 100%. Keeping the big picture in mind is very important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I won't be OK, but if I'm not sure I WILL be OK, then I'm not racing it. And better just to call it, then to agonize all week.

      Plus, death in the family this morning, with funeral likely later this week, so race would have been off anyway. At least I'm getting this all out of the way at once. :)

      Delete
  3. This stinks, but you know you are doing the right thing. Rest. Heal. Do something fun this weekend. As you said this morning...better to be out for a week or two then 3 months or more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was planning on doing something fun this weekend, and then my grandmother died, with the funeral on the west coast in the next few days.

      At least I don't have to worry about taking unscheduled time out for the funeral, since I already had vacation.

      Funny how things play out.

      Delete
  4. BAH. Bah, bah, bah. But from reading the above comments, it sounds like it is generally for the best all around. Fingers crossed for speedy healing. And sorry to hear about your grandmother, too -- safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. I'm sorry. I admire your training ethic. This is a good call though. Take some time off and then come do the Wrightsville Beach half or full in March. NC by wilmington. Flat as a pancake and a great race overall. Hang in there. I know it sucks. I fractured 2 weeks before a marathon that I worked by butt off for. You'll come out fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry for your loss.

    You're smart to hold off and recover rather than run despite your pain. PF can be so tough to shake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear this, but very smart to DNS than to run a mediocre race and hurt from it. Good luck as you take care of the PF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "stand down...then attack"

    - red fox doctrine

    ReplyDelete