Monday, November 26, 2012

Training log - week ending 11/25/12



This week was 37 miles of “real running” plus 11.5 running equivalents on the arc-trainer (call it 48.5 miles total), and then  9 “miles” pool running and 4000 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.  

Recovering and ramping back up.  Knock on wood, the plantar fasciitis at the rear of my left heel  is clearing nicely (that was the PF that caused me to skip my marathon).  

But, at the same time, I’m now dealing with some slight PF and also some tendonitis in both feet, near the arch and big toe, as well as on the outside of the foot.  This is normal, BTW – a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation that I always seem to face.  Any time I substantially cut back my running, I end up with slight to moderate PF and/or tendonitis in both feet when I come back.  It's like I lose the resiliency in those soft tissues if I don't work them.   (It's also pretty annoying/frustrating)

So just like always, I have to come back very slowly, combining running with cross training, as I work my way through the "rebuilding niggles."  I like combo runs, where I do the first miles outside, then finish up on the arc-trainer or in the pool, gradually increasing the time running and decreasing the cross-training.  I did several of those combo runs this week, and that's the plan for the next few.

Keeping my fingers crossed that everything continues to progress.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 6 miles easy (8:07 pace) followed by a PT appointment for dry needling.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 2000 yards of swimming breathing drills, and also upper body strengthwork and injury prevention exercises.  Floor barre and foam rolling at night. 

Wednesday:   In the morning, 6 miles easy (8:09 pace) followed by an hour on the arc-trainer (call it equal to 7.5 miles.  Also a PT appointment (ART for the foot). 

Thursday:   8.5 miles very easy (8:32 pace) and then yoga.  Foam-rolling at night (post Thanksgiving dinner at Ruth’s Chris – we don’t need no stinking turkey).

Friday:  In the morning, 2000 yards of swimming breathing drills, followed by 40 minutes of easy pool-running (“4 miles”).  Yoga in the afternoon, plus foam rolling.

Saturday:   In the morning, 6 miles very easy (8:48 pace) followed by 30 minutes pool-running (“3 miles”) .  Upper body strengthwork and injury prevention exercises in the afternoon, plus foam rolling.

Sunday:   In the morning, a combined long run of 10.5 miles aerobic (7:45 pace) followed by 30 minutes on the arc-trainer for “3.5 miles.”   Yoga and foam rolling in the afternoon.

3 comments: