Monday, March 11, 2013

Training log - Week ending 3/10/13

This week was 47.5 miles of “real running” plus 5 “miles” pool running and 2400 yards of swimming -- training log is here.  

Taper taper taper.  Each morning, I get a bit more anxious and eager to race.  Not nervous per se, which is weird.  I think it's because I'm just so happy to be finally getting to the start line, after the disappointment of Philly - just by being healthy, I've hit my key goal for this cycle.

My training cycle wasn't perfect (when is one ever) but I'm at peace with it.  I feel fresh, in a way I haven't in a long time.  The training schedule lets me do a short track workout this coming Tuesday, and short easy runs on Wednesday and Friday.   Each of these is akin to being given a carrot stick to hold one over until dinner, which is still an hour away.  But nothing to do except to force myself to stay seated on the couch, and NOT to be as active as I desperately want.  Save it for Sunday.


Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills, plus 10 minutes of easy pool-running for “1 mile,” preceded by injury prevention work and upperbody strength work.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  10 miles including a track workout of 1600, 1200, 2x800, 400, splits were 5:53, 4:19, 2:48, 2:46, 80;  followed by light injury prevention work (no squats) and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running for "2 miles."  Floor barre and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 10 miles very easy (8:46 pace).  Got a massage at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, upper body weights and injury prevention work, plus 1400 yards of swimming breathing drills.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  9 miles, including a 5K tempo in 19:50, split as 6:18, 6:22, 6:25, 0:45 (windy, with the wind getting worse each mile -- the effort was steady).  Followed with light injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running.  Pilates (very light resistance) and foam rolling at night.

Saturday:   8 miles easy (8:05) followed by foam rolling.

Sunday:   10 miles easy (8:01).  Later did light injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the resting this week! (if that is even actually possible).

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is lot of articles on the web about this. But I like yours more, although i found one that’s more descriptive.
    Sports Strapping Tape Australia

    ReplyDelete