Sunday, March 24, 2013

Training log - Week ending 3/24/13

This week was 2 miles of “real running” plus 20 “miles” pool running and 3500 yards of swimming -- training log is here.  

Recovery week.  Nothing but easy pool-running, easy swimming, and low level yoga and pilates classes for the first 6 days; added a 2 mile jog on the seventh.  After the first two days, I hated it.  I really enjoy being active and getting out and doing stuff; it's not in my nature to veg.

This is supposed to be Tux,
the Linux penguin, in running shoes.
But, I know I need to shut down now, if I want to ensure a good fall.  After last fall's crash/missed marathon, I've come to understand that a runner's body is very much like a Windows computer.  You can work it very hard for a while, and pile demand after demand on it.  But at some point, you'll have exceeded the system's resources, and it will start to slow.  You can push forward towards the inevitable system crash at the most inconvenient time (no, I've never had this happen with 7 Powerpoints, 15 Word files, 12 IM windows and 25 emails open simultaneously during a crucial meeting).  Or you can close the windows, power down the system, and reboot.

I'm rebooting (and doing a checkdisk while I'm at it).  Before I have to.

If only my body ran Linux.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 60 minutes of extremely easy pool-running (just waving my legs in the water).

Tuesday:  20 minutes of extremely easy pool-running.

Wednesday:   55 minutes of easy pool-running, followed by light injury prevention work, plus a bit of upper body strength training.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   1500 yards of swimming in the morning; foam-rolling plus a beginner level yoga class at night.

Friday:  45 minutes easy pool-running in the morning; foam rolling and pilates in the evening.

Saturday: Upper body strength training and 20 minutes of beltless pool-running, plus some foam rolling.

Sunday:   In the morning, 2 miles easy (8:10 pace) plus 2000m of swimming.  Planning on yoga and foam rolling at night.

4 comments:

  1. Good job Chris!! When are u starting your track and tempo work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, late to the commenting party but Tux in running shoes?! Fsck! You win the internet.

    ReplyDelete