Monday, March 31, 2014

Training log - Week ending 3/30/14

This week was 50 miles of running and 10,000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.  


Interesting week.  The weather continued to go up and down and sideways - my team's traditional Tuesday track workout was postponed a day to accommodate a snowstorm that then decided to be late. *sigh*.  I hate late people and late storms.  The result was a workout that was run gingerly and carefully on a track half-covered in snow and ice.  I now feel qualified to train up north, should I ever need to.

Thursday I went in for nerve testing (an "EMG/NCV test"), to confirm that my nerve/back problem is just a nerve being pressed, and not underlying damage.  Pretty interesting stuff actually - first they put a bunch of electrodes on me, and pulsed a current (sort of like "stim", but a stronger shock), while tracking how quickly my muscles responded. 

The second phase was to insert needles into certain muscles, and then have me tense those muscles while a machine tracked the nerve activity.  When I flexed my muscle, the machine would make a cool staticky noise.  As someone who is both a geek about medical/physiology stuff and an industrial music/power noise fan, I enjoyed the experience a lot more than the doctors thought I would. 

I never claimed to be normal.

I was a bit sore afterwards, so it was good that I had Friday scheduled as a recovery day.  Saturday I hopped into a low-key 5K - my first race since July, and my first road race since last June.  It went really well - despite being rusty, I managed to pace the race well, and finish very strong.  The course was longer than 5K, but whatever - a PR wasn't on the table anyway.  I was just there to race and see what happened, and it felt good to be back.  Damn good.

Sunday, it snowed again.  F'ing snow.


Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, felt horrible, so just slept.  Felt better in the afternoon, so did a yoga class and then some foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, injury rehab work and 8 miles easy running (7:59 pace), followed by 1250 yards of easy swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   Injury rehab work, 9 miles running, including a very cautious and icy track workout of 1600, 1200, 3x800 (split 6:42, 4:44, 3:05, 2:59, 3:00), followed by 2000 yards of easy swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, a yoga class and 10.5 miles of running, split as 4.5 miles before yoga (8:34 pace) and 6 miles after (7:58 pace), and then some foam rolling.  EMG/Nerve conduction testing in the afternoon.   

Friday:  Injury rehab work and 1750 yards of easy swimming in the morning.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   In the morning, 8.5 miles, including a "5K" (actually about 3.2-ish miles) in 20:24, followed by 2750 yards of swimming.   Foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, injury rehab work, 14 miles easy (8:12 pace), and 2250 yards of swimming.  Yin yoga and foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment