Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Training log - Week ending 1/08/17

This week was 54 miles of running,  20 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

First week back in training.  Hills on Tuesday went fairly well - I felt good enough to do seven repeats instead of the six I had planned (the workout is 6-8, but I usually shoot for the short end of the range when returning to workouts).  Of course, this could have been because I was still finishing up the prednisone burst for last week's asthma flare.  This is the third time in my life I've done a course of prednisone, and every time I do, I feel like I have unlimited endurance.  I don't necessarily run faster on it, but I can go forever.  Were I to race on it, I could certainly see holding my normal 5K pace for 5 miles or longer.

(for those of you who are wondering, prednisone is banned in competition, but allowed out of competition.  So there's nothing wrong with taking it to combat an asthma flare, intractable migraine, or other health issue, as long as you don't race while taking it)

Friday I was back to the track.  And sluggish. Mainly because I'm out of shape, but coming off the prednisone certainly didn't help.

(and of course, this is likely why prednisone is banned in competition, but allowed outside of competition.  There is no benefit to training on this stuff, and then coming off of it to race - the first few days post-prednisone burst are shitty.  Plus prednisone has all sorts of nasty side effects, including significant weight gain and bone density loss).

Friday's workout was a "slower" tempo (fine with me, trust me) followed by 800s and 400s, each to be negative split.  My mechanics felt off during the workout - this is normal for me when I haven't done any fast running in a while - so after the first 800m I swapped to a few 200,s with my back to the wind to practice running fast and relaxed with good form.  It helped some, but I have a LOT of running drills in my near future.

Sunday's run was planned to be progressive, but I decided to keep it easy - conditions were a bit risky for injury (14 degrees and fresh snow for footing).  Plus 14 miles was the longest I've run since CIM, so there was benefit in just getting the miles in.  I followed the run with yoga in a room heated to 95 degrees (which felt wonderful).  So, approximately an 81 difference between the two.  I think they do something similar in Siberia.

Next week should hopefully be warmer.


Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, 11 "miles" pool-running plus yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday
: In the morning, 10 miles including 7 Iwo Jima hill repeats (~500m up, then 200m jog, 100m stride, and 100m jog down to base of hill.  Followed with injury prevention work and 800 yards recovery swimming.  Sports massage at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 4 miles (9:38) to yoga, yoga, and then another 7 miles (9:07), folloed by drills and two strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: In the morning, yoga and 9 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: In the morning, 10 miles including a 5K tempo in 21:21 (6:48/6:55/6:49/0:48) plus an 800 in 2:56 (1:30/1:26) and 3x200 in 43, 42, 41.    Followed with injury prevention work and 700 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:  In the morning, 10 miles very easy (9:03) with drills and strides and upper body weights plus core and injury prevention work..  Foam rolling in the evening.

Sunday: In the morning, 14 miles (8:58) in 14 degrees followed by yoga in 95 degrees.  1500 yards easy swimming in the afternoon, followed by foam rolling.

1 comment:

  1. I know my "28 feels like 16" weather wasn't as bad as yours, but trust me when I say we weren't ready for it. That was a freezing run! And then of course this weekend, race weekend, is going to be 75F. Just shoot me.

    ReplyDelete