Monday, January 21, 2019

Training log - Week ending 1/20/19

This week was 58 miles of running, 7 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming.  Training log is here.

This week was about getting back into the routine of training/racing, including some hiccups.  

Hiccup #1 was on Tuesday, when our interval workout was relocated from the track to under the Whitehurst Freeway, due to ice.   I didn't allow quite enough time to de-ice my car, and thus arrived at the workout at 6:10 am (the workout started at 6:30).  I usually warm-up for my workouts with 3 miles of jogging plus a full set of drills/strides.  Not on Tuesday.  2 miles (trying to pick up the pace near the end) plus a half-hearted stride was all I had time for.  

And sure enough, the first 2 reps really sucked - my body felt like frozen taffy and my legs would NOT move.  Fortunately, things improved from there.   But it gave me a chance to confirm what I know anyway - my lengthy warm-up is not optional if I want to have a good workout.

Hiccup #2 was at Saturday's race, when I mis-judged the finish line.  Oof.  But...good to get all the mistakes out now.

I'm now training again, with a long run schedule carrying me through the Shamrock Half.   No massive long runs - just two 16 milers, with the second including a workout of 3x3miles at marathon pace.  Everything else is 12-14 progressive, with the last 3rd at marathon pace.  Since I'm focusing on shorter stuff, these long runs aren't really all that important, so I'm prioritizing the workouts and races over them (though I obviously still need to do most of them).  Since I raced on Saturday, I limited Sunday's long run to moderate efforti, to avoid having 2 hard days back-to-back.

This coming week promises cold weather, but no interruptions due to races (or, hopefully, ice and snow).  So I should be able to fit in intervals, a tempo, and a long run dropping down to marathon effort at the end.

Dailies:

Monday: Yoga and 8 miles (8:40) plus drills/strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 11.5 miles, including 8 repeats of roughly half a mile (3:09, 3:13, 3:01, 3:03, 2:58, 3:02, 3:00, 3:07).  Also leg-strengthwork/injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 2.5 miles very easy (10:10) to yoga, yoga, and then another 8 miles very easy (8:48), plus drills/strides.  Sports massage in afternoon.

Thursday: Upper body weights/core and 7 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 4 miles very easy (8:40) and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 3 mile warm-up, then 5K race in 19:27 (6:22/6:23/5:59/0:36, plus 7 second gap for paused watch).  4 mile cooldown, and then 1000 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling at night.  

Sunday: 14 miles progressive - first 5 averaged 8:46, next 9 averaged 7:44.  Also upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.



No comments:

Post a Comment