Sunday, February 17, 2019

Training log - Week ending 2/17/19

This week was 60 miles of running, 16 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

The week started off with one of the tougher workouts for me - mile repeats with short recovery.    We normally do 1600s with 800m jogged recovery, but due to some tough weather conditions (33 degrees and rain) my coach shortened the workout to minimize the duration of the workout.

VO2Max-ish work is my weakness.  Marathon pace workouts are relatively easy, and I can go anaerobic and lay down a decent 800m repeat at the end of a workout.  But that high middle ground - repeats between 1200m and 2000m in length -  is very hard for me.  I think of it as my unsweet spot.  And shorter recoveries increase the difficulty.

(I'm certain that this is related to how I prefer to race either miles or 10 miles and up - "short long distance" races of between 5K-10K in distance are the most challenging and painful distances for me).

But that's why this workout was really good for me.  I really want to improve my weaknesses this Spring, and this workout was excellent for that.    I wouldn't want to do a workout like this every week - workouts like this also tend to fry me if overdone.  But it's definitely good for me to get one in every few weeks. 

I was pretty tired after, but bounced back well with a decent tempo on Friday, and a good long run on Sunday (back in my comfort zone of marathon pace). 

I can see my fitness trending upwards, which is both nice for the obvious reasons and also makes it easier to patiently continue to train at my current fitness, rather than goal fitness (because current fitness is getting closer to goal fitness).

Dailies 

Monday: yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running; foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including 3x1600, 2x200 in 6:20, 6:14, 6:10, 41, 42.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 6 miles very easy to yoga (9:21), yoga, and then 6 miles very easy (8:50), followed by drills and strides.  Massage in afternoon.

Thursday:  Upper body weights and core and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 12 miles, including a 4 mile tempo in 25:48 (6:39/6:29/6:23/6:17).  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.   Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  10 miles very easy (8:33), followed by drills, strides, upper body weights and core and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 14 miles progressive - split as first 4 miles averaging 8:33, next 4 miles averaging 7:23, last 6 miles averaging 6:49.  Followed with light injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment