Sunday, February 24, 2019

Training log - Week ending 2/24/2019

This week was 44 miles of running, 16 "miles" of pool-running and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

I pulled back some this week, partially because of weather (a significant snow storm shut down DC on Wednesday) and mostly because I was racing on Saturday and wanted to give myself every opportunity to run a fast time.

As noted in my report, I was a bit disappointed in my performance on Saturday.  An 8K PR that matched my other PRs was one of my goals for this spring.  My 8K PR was very weak, and it remains weak, I think, so that's annoying.  Additionally, I felt that I just didn't race my best, which is as or more frustrating than the time itself.    

There's not that many 8K races that fit into my schedule (doing the 8K at Shamrock would mean missing the Shamrock Half-Marathon), so I don't know when I'll get a chance to race the distance again.  Of course, it's not like the 8K/5 mile distance is a major distance, so I'm honestly not sure why I care that much anyway.

***

I've noted that when I have a race I'm not happy with, I get strongly tempted to have a harder-than-appropriate run the next day.  It's the "punish myself" theory of training, and I'm not immune.  For that reason, I showed up at the team run on Sunday and asked my coach what I should do.  (On my own, I probably would have done 12-14 moderate).   

He held me to 8-10 easy (which meant 10, of course), so I trotted off with my teammates, both mildly annoyed and very grateful that I let him make the call, if that makes sense.  I like to think of myself as disciplined and controlled in my training, but every once in a while, even after all these years, I still need someone to protect me from myself.

And of course, running with my teammates improved my mood substantially.  Funny how that works.

Dailies 

Monday: yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running; foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including 7x800 in 3:09, 3:03, 3:02, 3:01, 3:00, 2:54, 2:55.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 6 miles very easy (9:36), then DIY yoga at home and foam rolling

Thursday:  Light upper body weights and core and 7.5 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 4 miles very easy (9:27) and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  3 mile warm-up, then 8K race in 31:27 (manual splits 6:19/6:26/6:27/6:14/6:02).  3 mile cool-down.  1000 yards recovery swimming and foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 10 miles easy (8:32), followed by drills/strides and yoga.   Foam rolling in afternoon.





3 comments:

  1. I like the 8k distance as well but it seems like most decent 8k courses are held on the same day as a more "flagship" distance race- Richmond 8k, Shamrock 8k, Navy/Air Force 5 miler ect. Unrelated but your blog is always great and I thought of you when I saw that Salty Running was looking for new contributors. I think a lot of competitive women who read the salty posts would enjoy your perspective. just my two (unsolicited) cents : )
    http://www.saltyrunning.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes, I'm familiar with Salty, and I enjoyed reading some of their content. I've never reached out to them for two reasons: 1) I prefer owning my content and 2) I'm worried about overcommitting myself - if I get busy and get behind on the blog, right now I'm not letting anyone down except myself.

      Delete