Sunday, March 10, 2019

Training log - Week ending 3/10/19

This week was 60 miles of running, 16 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This was my last week of focused training for a while, as I'm going to be shifting into goal race mode for the next few months.  The first of those goal races, Shamrock Half-Marathon, is next weekend. 

Of course, this doesn't really change that much - I'll still be training between races, and it's not like I haven't been racing the last few weeks.  It really just means that I'll be focusing a bit more on the pre-race pullback/sharpening and post-race recovery than I have in the previous weeks.

To that point, I really considered my 8K tempo on Friday to be my last real workout before Shamrock.  After that I started pulling back some by reducing the mileage of my Sunday run.  I also conveniently started chatting in the last few miles of the Sunday run, and ended up running a bit easier than marathon effort for those miles.  Normally I'd be annoyed at myself for the lack of focus, but I don't think it was a bad thing to be a bit too easy this weekend.  (and also, it's a good sign that 6:5x pace was "a bit easier than marathon" effort - that wouldn't have been the case a few weeks ago.)

Next week will be pretty chill, doing just enough in my workouts to keep my legs sharp.  As for how I think things will go?  I had entered Shamrock with hopes of breaking 84 minutes, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.  (hopefully, I'll be there in June for the Garry Bjorklund half)  If I had to guess, I'd put my fitness at 84-85 minutes right now.  I'm definitely not in the shape I was before the Richmond half-marathon (where I ran 84:22).  

On the other hand, I'll be fresher for Shamrock than I was for Richmond since I won't have a marathon cycle on my legs, and Shamrock is also a faster course.  Additionally, I've historically run very well at Shamrock, so maybe some of that magic will happen again this year.  I'll know by this time next week.


Dailies 

Monday: Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 1600, 2x800, 2x200 in 3:06, 3:02, 6:09, 3:00, 2:52, 41, 40.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:06), plus drills and strides, and then yoga.  Followed with another 4 miles very easy (9:04).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:  Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 14 miles, including an 8K tempo on the track in 32:36 (6:38/6:32/6:31/6:30/6:25).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  10 miles very easy (8:49), plus drills, 4 hill sprints, upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 12 miles progressive, split as first 4 averaging 8:46, next 4 averaging 7:21, last 4 averaging 6:51.   Followed with light leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.







1 comment:

  1. Good luck at Shamrock. I'm excited to see how fit you are - you're right, you're finally off marathon training, so you might surprise yourself!

    ReplyDelete