Sunday, April 21, 2019

Training log - Week ending 4/21/2019

This week was 60 miles of running, 16 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

After racing 2 weeks in a row, it was time to get back to work.  

I always train by effort, letting the paces be what they will. As it turned out, I saw a big bump in paces this week.   While I'm sure part of that is the great weather that we had over the past few days, some of it is also improved fitness.  Racing 10 miles usually gives me a big fitness boost.  I think this is because I respond really well to tempo workouts, and a 10 mile race is not just a race but the ultimate in tempo workouts.

The marathon pace section on Sunday's long run was a surprise.  Though I'm sure some of it could be explained by the moderate tailwind I had, it was still a pleasant surprise to see a sequence of 6:3x's on the watch after the run.    

The more I think about, the less shocking that pace is - I think breaking 2:55 for a marathon this fall is a realistic goal if the stars align, and 6:37 pace yields a 2:53 marathon.  So not outlandish at all.  I'm just not used to seeing that number on a long run, so it still feels a bit odd.

Based on last week's 5K and this week's workouts, I believe I'm now in shape to run 18:30 or faster for the 5K - I just need to get into the right race to do it.  The weather's looking pretty good this upcoming weekend, so I'm probably going to jump into one of the 20+ 5K races in this area.   The Pike's Peek 10K is also this weekend, and I'd love to do that.  But I've got the Broad Street 10 Miler next weekend, and racing anything longer than 5K this weekend risks compromising my performance at Broad Street.

Dailies 

Monday: Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 400, 800, 2x1200, 800, 400 in 87, 2:56, 4:23, 4:21, 2:52, 78.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:17), and then yoga.  Followed with another 4 miles very easy (9:02) and drills and strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:  Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 12 miles, including a 4 mile tempo on the track in 25:18 (6:29/6:20/6:20/6:09).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  10 miles very easy (8:59), plus drills, strides, DIY yoga, and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 miles averaging 8:49, next 4 averaging 7:38, last 4 averaging 6:37.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment