Monday, August 19, 2019

Training log - Week ending 8/18/19

This week was 64 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Since I'm now within 3 months of my fall marathon, Indy Monumental, I'm starting to shift into marathon mode.  

My marathon training actually doesn't look all that different from normal training - I've learned that massive jumps in volume cost me a lot in terms of fatigue and benefit me very little.  So, instead I make subtle changes. 

I've increased my Saturday run from ten to twelve miles, just to load a bit more fatigue on my legs before each Sunday long run.  I'll also be shifting the balance of my pool-running.  My Monday pool-run will get shorter (down to 60-70 minutes during the heaviest part of the cycle, so I can rest a bit more after the Sunday long run) while the Thursday pool-run will get longer - up to two hours.

I'll also be de-emphasizing the Tuesday interval workouts - pulling back on the pace, while ideally increasing the number of reps if it feels OK to do so.  On some weeks, I may skip Tuesday altogether if I think I need to - that workout is helpful but not essential.  In counterbalance, the long run will become the most important workout of the week, and be much longer than at other times.

Of course, all these changes don't happen immediately.  While I'm starting to marathon train now, I'm not going to get serious about it until mid-September.  I need to limit the serious hard training and big long runs to about 6-7 weeks, plus a 3 week taper - any more than that, and I peak too soon and underperform on race day.

That's one of several reasons that I've got two more road miles lined up over the next month.  Those road miles will distract me and limit me from too much marathon training, and that's a good thing - again, I don't want to get too marathon specific too soon.  They also help with maintaining my power and speed, which I think becomes increasingly important as I get older and more tempted to reduce my range down to a single pace. 

[And it doesn't hurt that the road miles are fun.]

Dailies 

Monday: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 5x800 in 6:03, 2:59, 2:58, 2:56, 2:56, 2:49 (recoveries of 4:56 after the 1600, 2:3x-2:4x after the first three 800s, and 3:18 recovery after the fourth 800, which is why I let myself open up on the last one a bit.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1250 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:02), plus drills and strides, and then yoga.  Followed with another 4 miles very easy (8:53).  Massage in afternoon.

Thursday:  Upper body strengthwork/core and 9.5 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 12 miles, including a broken tempo of 2x3200 in 12:45 (6:28/6:18) and 12:40 (6:21/6:19); 5:35 recovery between the two.  Followed with 4 short steep hill sprints, leg strengthwork and 1200 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  12 miles very easy (9:08), plus drills, 4 strides, upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 16 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 9:02; next 5 averaging 7:54; last 6 averaging 7:12. Followed with leg strengthwork and 550 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.


1 comment:

  1. Nice week and I think your approach to marathon training vs. non-marathon training is wise. 2 hours of pool running- that is some mental toughness there!

    ReplyDelete