Sunday, April 14, 2024

Training log - Week ending 4/14/2024

This week was 36 miles of running -- training log is here.

Just the last week of training before a Monday marathon (which always makes for an awkward training log).  The one thing of real interest is that I got classified as a T36 para-athlete on Saturday, based on my Parkinsons disease.

(Yup, I know I haven't yet explicitly stated it here, though I did mention it on Instagram - my runner's dystonia that I've been battling for years ended up being Parkinsons disease - I was diagnosed in early 2023.  Which is not cool in a lot of ways but does make me eligible to be a para-athlete.  Back to the story.)

To explain very quickly - para-athletes are divided into different categories, based on the nature and extent to which their performance is limited.  For track athletes (including marathons), all classification categories start with a T (for track).  Then the number afterward describes the nature/extent of the impairment.  Categories 31-38 are for the coordination-impaired, with categories 31-34 being wheelchair and 35-38 being standing (or running) athletes.  Since I have coordination challenges that are not limited to one side of my body or one limb, and that are significant, I was classified as a T36. 

The whole classification process was really interesting - it took about an hour and involved paperwork, a short interview, an orthopedic/neurological examination (lots of tapping on stuff and bending joints and "touch this body part to this body part"), followed by me doing some calisthenic and PT type exercises while they watched and graded me.  I'll likely touch on it more in either my race report or a separate blog post.

In the meantime, I'm now in the para-athlete field for tomorrow.  This will be an adventure.

Monday: 8 miles very easy (9:17).  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 8 miles with a track workout of 6x800 in 3:32, 3:30, 3:24, 3:21, 3:22, 3:20 (recoveries of 2:3x-2:5x in between).
 
Wednesday: 6 miles (9:21) plus drills and two strides, followed by upper body weights/core. Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 6 miles easy (9:07) plus drills and two strides; sports massage and streaming Pilates in afternoon.

Friday: Off for travel

Saturday: 4 miles very easy (9:40) in morning; para-athlete classification in afternoon. 

Sunday:  4 miles very easy (9:30) plus two relaxed strides in morning, yoga in afternoon.  Foam rolling in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment