Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Training log - Week ending 4/7/2024

This week was 45 miles of running, 9 "miles" of pool-running and 1000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

The week started with a hiccup, when I showed up for the team track workout but had an awful morning gait-wise.  My legs were just too stiff to move fast, so I ended up pulling the plug.  A sports massage that night helped stuff calm down a lot, and a second try on Wednesday morning went much better despite having been run in a gale.

Because I ran the Tuesday track workout on Wednesday, I pushed the Friday tempo workout back to Saturday, which ended up being a ridiculously windy day.  My tempo was a slightly slower than I would have liked, but I'm fairly certain that the wind was costing me at least a second or two each lap.

I'm now in my last week of taper before Boston.  I've learned over my last three marathons that I do better when I do a bit more running (and definitely longer workouts) pre-race than I used to do.  When I do too little, I show up at the start line very fresh but unable to manage my legs enough to run to their potential.  Coming in with a slight bit of fatigue and some recent fast running seems to hit the right balance of rest versus neurological coordination for my best race.  So hitting that balance is the theme for the upcoming week.

Monday: 9 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 10 miles with some random strides.  Sports massage in evening. 
 
Wednesday: 10 miles, including a track workout of 2K, 3x1200, 2x200 in 9:24, 5:23, 5:18, 5:16, 52, and 52 (2:2x-2:3x recovery between each). Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 6.5 miles very easy (10:10) on trails plus some leg strengthwork; streaming Pilates and foam rolling in evening.

Friday: Upper body weights/core and 9 miles very easy (9:15) plus drills and strides.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 9.5 miles including a 6400m track tempo in 28:20 (7:16/7:07/7:04/6:54) followed by leg strengthwork. Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday:  1000 yards swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment